Traditional barcodes to be replaced with QR-style 2D codes by 2027

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The barcode has been a familiar sight for almost 50 years, found on packaging for virtually every consumer item in the world. But it's set to be phased out by 2027 in favor of a more capable successor: 2D barcodes.

The familiar barcode square filled with thin and thick vertical lines has been around for decades. It's used universally on consumers products, but its functionality is limited compared to the 2D versions, which can hold a lot more information that is encoded on both the horizontal and vertical axes.

Unlike the standard 12-digit barcode, the 2D versions, which look like squares or rectangles containing many small, individual dots (QR codes are one version), can reveal lots about a product. Axios writes that stores will be able to immediately respond to product recalls and identify faulty items. They'll also be able to see when food is nearing its expiry date and offer discounts. Retailers can also expect the codes to greatly improve their inventory control.

The 2D codes also have plenty of benefits for consumers. Scanning one on a food item's packaging using a phone, for example, will offer up information such as its ingredients, recipes it can be used in, potential allergens, and where it was grown.

It's not just information on foodstuff that 2D barcodes are useful for. They can reveal promotional offers, the factory where something was created, a company's sustainability practices, and even information on recycling the product or packaging. The 2D codes can also give access to loyalty points, games, and coupons.

Since they were first used to label car parts in Japanese factories in 1994, the popularity of QR codes has continued to increase, and their use exploded during the pandemic.

Puma was the first company to announce it is using 2D barcodes in US stores and products. They will link to information about the sneakers' materials and the company's sustainability efforts. Internationally, the codes are being used in Japan, Australia, and New Zealand to show foods' freshness and shelf life. Elsewhere, the EU has voted to use them for visas, improving the security risks related to counterfeit and stolen visa stickers, and making it easier for travelers to apply.

The GS1 US, the nonprofit standards organization that oversees the barcode industry, is behind the 'Sunrise 2027' push to move to 2D barcodes entirely by 2027. It recently released a barcode capabilities test kit for retailers to assess their readiness for the move to 2D.

Permalink to story.

It also lets the Retailer(s) and Business into your phone....

Anyone know what the bst QR app is..? Or where I can buy just a QR reading..?

It shouldn't need to go through a specific application, but seeing as how some companies act, you never know...
In any case, most default camera apps can read QR codes. If you're looking for something a bit better (with a history feature for example), Binary Eye is great!
It's open source and available on GitHub, F-Droid as well as Play Store:

Just read whats already on the damn box, the expiration dates and ingredients are right f***ing there! I'm so tired of having to tote my phone everywhere, the grocery store was the last bastion of browsing peace I had and now were gonna complicate it up like everything else, I dont care where my pasta sauce came from or how many kittens the company saved, I just wanna know if itll last in the cabinets a few weeks and the sodium content.

I'll just guess theres an ulterior motive behind this, there always is, all that scanning info is gonna just be used to somehow get more money out of us, or they'll throw more bs ingredients in stuff because they know the average dope will be to lazy to actually scan the damn thing either because they dont know how or the scanning app of choice isn't working(probably cause of crap internet, especially in a brick store with products everywhere).

Several years ago I gave up on "business cards" and created a QR code with all of my business information.
Company, email, phone numbers, website etc.
Now when someone says can I have your number, I just pop up the QR code, have them scan it, and they have ALL of my contact information.

Chat, did you know that, from all the free apps on Google Play (perhaps on Apple too), the free QR apps were the most which had malwares embedded into?

Last edited:
Chat, did you know that, from all the free apps on Google Play (perhaps on Apple too), the free QR apps were the most which had viruses embedded into?
Every phone I've used in the last 6 years had QR scanning built into the default camera app. Why are you downloading QR readers?

I know on Android the search widget and cameras had QR reading capabilities since 2018 if not earlier. I don't see a reason to download a shady 3rd party application.
In medicine QR codes store traditional bar codes information ( UPC code/NDC) as well as expiration date and lot numbers all in one little often smaller than a centimeter of square surface area for years. FYI. Phasing out traditional bar codes makes sense because QR codes store more data at often 1/10 of the surface area than traditional barcodes.

Every phone I've used in the last 6 years had QR scanning built into the default camera app. Why are you downloading QR readers?
I do not. I use the camera app for QR. But a lot of people do not know this.
Even so, those 3rd party QR app claim a lot of functionality, so is better to stick to phone camera app to use QR code.

It shouldn't need to go through a specific application, but seeing as how some companies act, you never know...
In any case, most default camera apps can read QR codes. If you're looking for something a bit better (with a history feature for example), Binary Eye is great!
It's open source and available on GitHub, F-Droid as well as Play Store:

Who is checking to make sure EVERY code reader, displays the same information and not being lied too..? (WHo's QR software are you using..?)

Understand..?

Where can I buy a stand alone QR reader, that is NOT attached to my phone..?

Who is checking to make sure EVERY code reader, displays the same information and not being lied too..? (WHo's QR software are you using..?)

Understand..?

Where can I buy a stand alone QR reader, that is NOT attached to my phone..?
Feel free to check the source code of the app I linked, find an audit, or even a different one. Also, if your threat model has to take into account people targetting you specifically, I'm not sure I can provide the support you require.

As for your last question, I'd say any store selling hardware for warehouses and such should have barcode readers. Even models from years ago support 2D as well as data matrix.

I don't know.
I worked in production and I know those industrial printers that put on bar codes on some high volume products like pipes, boxes, not always spray straight. I't OK with barcodes that don't have to be perfect on the whole lengths, but QRs seems like a tolerance for misprint is much lower.

I'll admit I'm old but I find all the info written on supermarket packaging infuriating. I'm told my eyes are good but I need reading glasses to read through all the useless info on packaging just to find the one bit of info I need so, if I'm cooking rice, I want to know how long to cook it for. Instead I have to painfully decipher the text that's all written in the same tiny font describing the indigenous tribes that grow it, the politics of the country, the ancestral history of the farmer etc etc until I finally find "15 minutes" written somewhere on the underside of the packet. It also doesn't help when the text colour blends in with the arty images that plaster all products these days.

There should be a basic law that says essential information must be readable - by human beings and not just computers and ants. They can then print the fascinating history of the potato plant in as tiny a font as they want.

The standard 12-digit barcode is "set to be phased out by 2027".
"...The GS1 US, the nonprofit standards organization that oversees the barcode industry, is behind the 'Sunrise 2027' push to move to 2D barcodes entirely by 2027."

I find this hard to believe that it will be fully implemented that fast.
The WORLD has been using the standard barcode in scanners / software and databases for decades. This is like another Y2K problem for businesses. Current scanners read / process and store the standard 12-digit barcode. Now you're telling EVERY BUSINESS in the WORLD that they must replace or update their SCANNERS, their SOFTWARE and their DATA BASES to store the currently up-to 1,264 characters from version 40 of the QR Code.

Again, that's EVERY BUSINESS on the face of the earth MUST switch by 2027 IF they PHASE IT OUT by then.

Now Amazon, Walmart and other big businesses could tackle and accomplish that by 2027, but I see NO WAY that smaller businesses or 3rd-world country businesses would have the funds and manpower to do this by 2027.

My bet is that you'll see the old and new barcodes living together for much longer than the 2027 deadline.

The standard 12-digit barcode is "set to be phased out by 2027".
"...The GS1 US, the nonprofit standards organization that oversees the barcode industry, is behind the 'Sunrise 2027' push to move to 2D barcodes entirely by 2027."

I find this hard to believe that it will be fully implemented that fast.
The WORLD has been using the standard barcode in scanners / software and databases for decades. This is like another Y2K problem for businesses. Current scanners read / process and store the standard 12-digit barcode. Now you're telling EVERY BUSINESS in the WORLD that they must replace or update their SCANNERS, their SOFTWARE and their DATA BASES to store the currently up-to 1,264 characters from version 40 of the QR Code.

Again, that's EVERY BUSINESS on the face of the earth MUST switch by 2027 IF they PHASE IT OUT by then.

Now Amazon, Walmart and other big businesses could tackle and accomplish that by 2027, but I see NO WAY that smaller businesses or 3rd-world country businesses would have the funds and manpower to do this by 2027.

My bet is that you'll see the old and new barcodes living together for much longer than the 2027 deadline.
Walmart already uses QR codes to keep track of their inventory in each stores backroom.
It is slow and takes much longer to put in and take out product then their previous system that used barcodes.

Back