Transferring programs to new computer

By rocks911
Jan 19, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is there a program that transfers programs from one computer to another?

I have an HP desktop running XP and in the not too distant future I want to purchase a new computer, running Windows 7 I'm sure. I have gobs of handy programs that I use and would like to transfer those that will work onto the new computer. Is there any software that does that? I've had this XP for so long I hate to lose it's capabilities with all the software I have.
  2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Yes, it's the Windows File Transfer Wizard or
    in Windows 7 referred to as Windows Easy Transfer.
    Depending on how large your files are, you may need a portable media drive to accomplish this.
    I just used it about a month ago and works seamlessly great.
  3. rocks911

rocks911 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 37

Thanks for the quick reply. I sorta thought that was the case but it's been so long since I've had to consider it I wasnt sure.
  4. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Just a note, you'll need to install actual programs, you can only transfer files.
    If you have a home network, you can transfer using that method.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,278   +280

yes; while the transfer agent will copy the user's profile settings, it will not copy installed programs.

the files from \Program Files might be moved manually, but then there's that $%&^ registry :(
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.