Transferring Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

|-|ybrid

OK, I have a bit of a problem:

I have a laptop and it broke. It had a Windows XP Professional (SP2) OEM operating system activated on it. I just got a new custom computer without an operating system, and I'm thinking of transferring the activation of Windows from the laptop's hard drive to the new desktop's HDD. I need to know if calling Microsoft to have it transferred will do it (I've been told not) or, if not, what methods should work. I'm thinking that putting the old hard drive on the new computer will work, or if there is a way to copy all of its content onto the new hard drive without having an operating system on the new drive, I would try that too.

Please help, I'm getting this computer soon.

Thanks,

|-|ybrid

No you can't do it that way, that was the whole purpose of not sharing licenses between OS clients. So forget it...

First you can't take the contents of 2.5 HDD laptop to a 3.5 HDD desktop and hope to use the features of Windows. Not going to work.

1. Different Hardware
2. Windows OS setup for a laptop not desktop
3. Licenses won't transfer that way...

Thanks for the reply... I just found all this out on the internet just a minute ago actually...

So if this does not work, what am I to do?

I need a cheap copy of Windows XP Pro or Vista Premium (I got dual-core AMD so I need compatible OS) at less than CAD$150. Any suggestions?

Amazing what some people say without actually knowing

You CAN transfer the OS to another computer as long as you remove it from the original read this bottom of page 1 http://download.microsoft.com/docum...lish_9e8a2f82-c320-4301-869f-839a853868a1.pdf
which is a microsoft end user agreement for XP
You will need to reinstall from CD and you will need your cd-key (license ) and you will also need to re-activate for which you might have to call Microsoft.

you cannot use the old hard drive on a new system or motherboard. You will need to format the drive, reinstall windows, and when the product activation comes up, you will need to telephone M$ for a new key. Just simply tell them you have removed it from the old computer and put it on a new system.

Reusing the old hard drive is not only illegal, but will generate crashes as the system configures itself uniquely for each motherboard by serial number and type.

Reusing windows is ok, ONLY if it removed from the old computer COMPLETELY and M$ is notified and gives you a new key.

Also please post in the correct forum next time (windows forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back