TechSpot

Tribes: Ascend goes live, offers freemium, class-based enjoyment

By Rick
Apr 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday's launch of Tribes: Ascend marks yet another free-to-play offering for gamers that looks like great fun. Although the Tribes franchise has laid dormant for some time, Hi-Rez Studios has…

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,386   +425

Looks like Unreal Tournament. What the heck - it's free. Worth checking out. :)

3. @TomSEA, Actually it looks like Tribes because... it's Tribes which actually predates UT.

4. Oh boy, downloading now. I hope my much older hands can keep up with the action of tribes like I did in the 90's. It was my introduction to fast paced MMO and the online rage has been burning ever since.

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

6. Panda218

Panda218 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102   +16

I had a really fun time in the beta, until I hit lvl 6 and balanced match making became a thing of the past. I really hope they changed it a bit since then, because its actually a really fun game.

7. Anything that features a rolling, busty topography is fine by me :)

8. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,535   +327

Downloading now :)

9. @FirstGuest, It's made with the Unreal Engine so....

10. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,017   +148

Tribes came before UR. The UR engine is highly efficient and runs on everything so almost everyone uses it anyway. I think TomSEA and the guest were referring to gameplay, not the engine.

11. (yet another guest, I am so lazy)

@yRaz
    Actually Unreal was released before Starsiege tribes UT wasn't though.

12. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,017   +148

Unreal came out in may 1998, Tribes came out in November 1998. If you're trying to imply that Tribes copied Unreal(which is what I thought TomSEA was saying and guest was disputing ), 6 months is hardly enough time to develop a game and they both have pretty different play styles. However, the case could be made that they both are modeled after Quake. I've had great times playing all of them but the most memorable for me was Tribes.

To say something on topic, the new tribes is a ton of fun. It's free so what's to lose? For anyone who remembers quake, unreal or tribes, you'll get a real kick out of it. It took me right back to 98-2000. The learning curve is kinda steep so try not to get frustrated.

13. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

I've started playing it again... after a long break from early beta. Guess my name and see you in game

14. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,187   +748

Man, I loved Tribes back in like 2000 and 2001. Awesome fun game. Didn't like the sequal much, but I wasted a ton of time playing the original. I'll have to try this one out for sure.

15. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

Hah! Just deleted some spam asking for Tribes referrals... I actually considered doing this on the forums myself, but decided it was more spam-like than anything else so let's not start putting our Tribes Ascend referral links in this thread please. It has the potential to get quite messy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.