Trouble installing Win XP on new SATA

By SubaruSTIGuy80
Nov 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok, so I just bought a new WD 250GB SATA HDD. I had to get a PCI/SATA adapter card since my Mobo doesn't have the serial ports on it. I then went to the WD website and created two floppies; 1 for the controller drivers and 1 that was suggested if installing just an SATA from scratch which sets up the HDD to install Windows. First, I boot up with the HDD setup floppy disk. This brings me to a Western Digital menu system and I select to set up the HDD to use. It goes off and does whatever it needs to and is done relatively quickly. I then put the Windows CD in, boot up, it does it's thing for a bit, then comes in to the Windows installation menus. I press F6 when it says to (for RAID/SCSI drivers), but nothing happens. The setup continues until it gets to a screen saying it can't find a hard drive. I put in the drivers floppy, press "S", and it recognizes that the XP drivers are there and it seems to continue successfully. After a minute or so of extracting and installing the basic files, it eventually gets to the actual Windows setup. I press ENTER to start installation, but it says a HDD can't be found, then forces me to exit. I made sure BIOS is updated and have hit a dead end with trying anything. Any thoughts?
  2. samjohnson

samjohnson Newcomer, in training Posts: 320

Don't go into the setup for RAID/SCSI drivers. You don't have to do raid. I have a RAID compatible motherboard and everything but I don't do it. SO just skip that and go right into installing windows. It should have some option to skip that part. I can't remember what it said though. :D
  3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

sam, several of the newer asus mbd don't have to have drivers because of the BIOS but all of the older boards do.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.