Trouble with Re-Installing Windows from Linux Mint 16 - ISO-USB

Hi there, people of the internet.
I'm having some issues trying to re-install Windows 7 back to my laptop having switching fully to Linux Mint 16. I've got an ISO file for the installation of Windows (I have genuine code) but having some massive fail moments trying to work it.

I've used the USB Image Writter to put my ISO file onto my formatted USB but when I try to boot from it from restart I get the error "No Boot Sector on USB" So that has confused me quite so. I'm using a Dell Inspiron i545 and having a nightmare with it.

I don't have any side portions of Windows just 100% Linux. If I can get some help It will be greatly appreciated.

Forever in your debt,
Martin.

From Wikipaedia:
There is no standard definition for ISO image files. ISO disc images are uncompressed and do not use a particular container format; they are a sector-by-sector copy of the data on an optical disc, stored inside a binary file. ISO images are expected to contain the binary image of an optical media file system (usually ISO 9660 and its extensions or UDF), including the data in its files in binary format, copied exactly as they were stored on the disc. The data inside the ISO image will be structured according to the file system that was used on the optical disc from which it was created.

So although an .iso file of (say) linux might well be bootable, it's not true that all .iso images are. I don't know what that .iso image actually is, although it might well be an image of a Windows 7 setup CD. But that is not how it looks on a USB drive. I think you will have to go back to the setup CD and take a more normal type of exact copy, or re-write it to USB with a more explicit instruction to the writing software that 'this is supposed to be bootable'.

Just in case - have you checked in the bios that a USB drive can be set 'bootable', and that it is top of the drives list ?

Back