trouble with removing win xp from dual-boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I already have windows xp home edition installed on my computer. But, by mistake, I installed xp again, so right now I have dual-boot system (2 window xp...)
I am trying to remove one from the computer, but don't know how to..
My computer has only C: drive, doesn't have D: drive. Plus, it seems to be on NTFS. Could you guys please help me? (including editing boot.ini)

The quick way round this is to right click on 'My Computer' go to Properties and click on the advanced tab. Under the section called Startup and recovery click 'settings' make sure the the operating system you are using is listed at the top under default operating system and then take the tick out of time to display list of operating systems or change timer to 1 or 0 seconds.

Hope this helps

Are you sure you have two copies of XP home on yoru machine? Anohter scenario is that XP just put a duplicate line on your boot.ini. file. It is located on the C: as a hidden OS file.

If you are very careful...and back it up first, you can edit the file. If it has two duplicate lines, just delete one. Presto! The computer will no longer think there are two operating systems on it. If there really are 2 OSs on it, then it will just boot directly to the one you did not delete.

If the two lines are identical, then you have 1 OS. Part of the line tells you where the OS is installed on your harddrive. If it is different there, then you know you have 2 OSs. But by deleting one line, it will always boot to the one that is left.

make sure you have hidden folders in veiw files unticked so you can see all the files
a root of C look for boot.ini you can edit with txt editor
look at the default sample on the Microsoft website
if you have 2 instances of xp one will say windows one wil say ntfs or nt
hard to say what xp will rename it
you will need to delete this folder
not sure whats up with 2 os's unless you need the space I would leave it alone
or do a complete delete of partition and reformat and re-install
as said if you just want to remove the prompt on boot delete the line you don't want out of boot.ini file here is where you wil also change the boot time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back