Troubleshooting Sims deluxe edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have windows vista on my laptop. I have just installed Sims deluxe edition with expansion packs vacation and hot date. I cannot play the game, the computer discovers it has these expansion packs, goes into setup mode, then asks me if i want to uninstall the deluxe edition. I click 'no' and it takes me back to the desktop and goes no further than that. Can someone help me?

Well first of all you have Windows Vista, and as we all know Vista doesn't exactly have the best compatibility reputation. I know this because I also have Vista, and I know that it can be VERY frustrating. Also, for the system requirements of the games it doesn't include Windows Vista as one of the supported operating systems. Putting the Vista compatibility issues aside, try uninstalling the game COMPLETLEY and then install the game again to see if you get the same problem.

- When uninstalling the game, in case you don't know, uninstall it from the control panel first, then delete the files from the Program Files folder and any other folder the game files may be in. - -Try using the Search tool to find all of The Sims files, try typing in Maxis, The Sims, etc. Then be careful with this last step. Go to the registry by typing regedit in the Run bar in the Start Menu and go to the Current User folder and then go to the Software folder. From there, be careful and don't delete things recklessly, and find any folders that may be of The Sims or Maxis and delete them. Then go to the Local Machine folder and go to the Software folder. Do the same careful procedure of finding any game files of The Sims. After you have done all of this and you have made sure, by using the Search tool, that there are absolutely no more The Sims game files, restart your computer and install the game again. Post your results or your problems when your done. :)

Thanks for the quick response. However uninstalling and reinstalling did work until i tried to install the expansion pack and then it all went down the toilet. took me back through the setup process, complained i had an expansion pack on, further complained that it would need to uninstall again and wouldn't let me play. i am starting to believe it is all a waste of time and that only the sims deluxe edition will work by itself. is there a solution or will i just not be able to run expansion packs?

I have windows vista and the acer brand laptop if it helps.

Does The Sims, without any expansion packs installed, run fine by itself?

It seems to run fine by itself without the expansion packs. it goes silly buggers with them on e.g. takes me through setup, uninstall, reinstall, notices it has expansion packs on again basically throwing a real wobbly. But I did get them in 2001. I don't understand why they don't work and sims deluxe does especially if they're all the same age.

I don't think the "age" of the games matters in this case, just as long as they're not scratched. I can't think of any solution or cause of the problem other than the fact that you have Windows Vista, and The Sims is a fairly old game that is not supported by that operating system. Is there any way you can install those games on a system with Windows XP? If you can, post the results, if you can't then try Maxis's support page.
Also, make sure your computer has the LATEST updates for all of your hardware and software.

- http://thesims.ea.com/us/index.html?content=./support/index.html

How are you trying to start the game(s)? From start menu, desktop, or Games Explorer?

And in which order did you install them? The order should be Deluxe, Hot Date and Vacation (oldest first).

How do you install Sims Deluxe Edition onto Windows Vista?

Whenever i try to Install This computer has Windows Vista!!!

a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

i have tried it a few times. i almost gurantee that my computer has the requirements.

any help with this will be more than helpful thanks.

my system has

1 gb ddr2

intel graphics media accelerator 950 with up to 224 mb shared video memory

intel celeron m processor 530 1 mb l2 cache, 1.73 ghz, 533 mhz fsb

windows vista home basic

it doesn't even try to load the game. I click install and it opens up to say that it has a problem reading it or something

i also have a windows xp one, which i have just installed, and it works perfectly.

would it be that i have windows vistas?

or something else?

It's probably Windows Vista. It requires more resources than XP so your Celeron processor and integrated graphics may not be up to the task.

When you say "these people" who are you talking about? Are your laptop specs the same as theirs, exactly the same or even better?

"these people"

The people that are on this website. that are posting these replies.

idk if i have the same requirements.

what are the requirements for sims?

System requirements for your game are on the game box and possibly in the manual too.

I installed the complete sims collection, but instead of needing Triple Deluxe disc 1 to play it, it needed makin' magic 1. then, when I tried to play it, every time I opened a lot, it merged with the previous screen, and refused to allow me to play it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back