True oveclock speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I was overclocking my q6600 (up to about 3.8 stable, running at 3.8 now)
when i decided enough was enough, and loaded my OS to see what my temps were. When I took a look at cpuz i saw my cpu clock at 2.5ghz! My frequency was 420 as it was in bios, but my multiplier was only 6!?!?! Is this simply an error I'm seeing, or could my multiplier be different in bios? I confirmed a 3.8 clock in core temp.
If any1 could help me out here or direct me towards an accurate program for cpu speed monitoring.
Thanks

Also, uGuru is showing a temp of about 10 degrees (c) lower than core temp. Could anyone tell me where the sensors are that each program is getting their info from?

There is an option in the BIOS that you need to disable if you want to run 3.8 all the time. I believe it is called Speedstep or EIST, it might depend on your mobo. What it does is slows down your speed until you actually need it.

As for temp, I believe coretemp gives you the actual temperature.

Core temp will give you the closest to actual temperature reading. Core temp is reading a thermal sensor build into the processor while uGuru is reading the thermal sensor built into the motherboard.

With speed step enabled your processor multiplier will be lowered when your computer is idle to reduce power usage and heat production.

Thanks, I see what you mean. Just ran cpu burn-in and saw the core speed go up to 3.8... it's a good feature though, hope it will prolong the life of my hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back