TechSpot

Trying to connect to a wireless network in my building.

By cathesw
Jul 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've installed a LINKSYS wireless-G PCI Adapter in my computer. I've called LINKSYS support 3 times and visited their website for help. This is my problem. The wireless system seems to be installed properly. However, I keep getting the message "Cannot associate with the access point". What should I try?
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

you're going to have to set up the client computer by creating a preferred network. fill out all the fields, especially the network ssid, key, and encryption. just right-click on your wireless network connection and select properties. then go to the 'wireless networks' tab and add a preferred network.
  3. cathesw

cathesw TS Rookie Topic Starter

Connecting to my wireless netowrk

Thank you for replying to my message, but I think I've done all that. Here's what happens: When I right click on the LinkSys icon, I get a drop down menu with 3 choices; about, start and stop. When I choose start, I get a window that says "Cannot associate with the Access Point", under a tab labeled Link Information. There are 2 other tabs to choose from. 1. Site Survey. That gives me the SSID. 2. Under the Profiles tab, I have WEP 64 bit, Passphrase (blank) and WEP Key, a 10 digit encryption code given to me by the owner of the wireless network. Where do I go from here?
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

in that case you're using the linksys software to manage your connection. have you tried creating a new connection?
  5. cathesw

cathesw TS Rookie Topic Starter

Wireless connection

How would I create a new connection? The wireless network belongs to someone else who is willing to allow me to use it for $20 a month. I'm not sure how I would create a new connection.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.