Trying to fix an old PC. Windows XP CD won't boot

By childofthetao
Dec 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I'm trying to install windows xp on someones PC. They want it formatting and totally rerfreshing. The problem is that when I boot from the CD, after the "Press any key to boot from CD..." windows continues to boot up as usual. It defenitely sees the CD because the press any key promt.

Any ideas on what I can do? The computer is too oldto support booting from USB, so I need to get the CD booted somehow.

Thanks
    [​IMG]
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

Sounds like the keyboard is not being detected. Is it USB or PS\2 AT style? (plugged into a round connector on the motherboard) You may have to make sure that legacy USB is enabled in the bios
  3. childofthetao

childofthetao TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 211

No, sorry for not being more clear, the key press is detected and the boot up process begins for a second, then it just continues to load windows.

The discs work, but the drive I'm not so sure about. I don't have any other IDE drives to test it with. So let's just assume for now that the drive works, and the discs work, what else could be the problem?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

Okay, the CD drive must be toast then... it's the only thing left

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.