Trying to improve my PC's performance advice welcome

Here are my PC's specs suggestions welcome on how to stabilize performance and boost frame rates. What parts should I replace etc.

• CAS: Syber M ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, & Side-Panel Window
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i5-6600K 3.50GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
  • CS_FAN: Default case fans
  • FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance
  • 256GB Intel 600P M.2 NVME SSD with All Mechanical Hard Drive Purchase for Intel Desktops
  • HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • MONITOR: 22" Widescreen 1920x1080 LG 22MC37D-B 5ms LED Backlight, D-Sub, DVI-D & Analog RGB
  • MOTHERBOARD: * ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels
  • POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • VIDEO: GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)
  • WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
  • WNC: HIRO 802.11ac Dual Band PCI-E Wireless Adapter Network Card

Last edited:
What games are you playing, or what sort of performance uplift are you hoping to gain? We know your hardware, and that's good, but more information about what you want to do beyond "more FPS" would be great.

A few options:
1) Overclock the CPU. You have a Z-series board and a K-series chip. Overclocking is the first thing I'd look into doing, at least to 4GHz. Lots of guides on how to do so via Google.

2) Turn down the graphical settings a notch. Smaller textures, fewer triangles, all this will make any game run faster, although you'll take some sort of hit to the visual quality, and which games you play will determine how much of a hit and you'll have to decide what's acceptable in this realm.

3) Get a new GPU. Depending on what resolution you're playing at, as well as refresh rate of the panel and graphical settings you want to push will determine how much card you need. For at least the time being, especially if overclocked, that CPU shouldn't bottleneck just about any card up to a GTX 1070 or Vega 56. Even the GTX 1060 6GB is faster despite using the same naming scheme.

Clean & Defragment HDD.

Confirm indexing of files for SSD is OFF and TRIM is ON.

Many programs and games may have specific tweaks. Identify worst offenders and search.

Im mainly playing world of warships and world of warcraft, I'm trying to get where I can play on higher settings in both. in world of warships im playing on medium setting and im having a lot of frame rate fluctuation.

I'd OC the CPU and the GPU (provided it's not an "FE" card). Should net you an additional 3-10FPS in games. Note that noise may be an issue with the 212 Evo if temps get high with a chip overclock. I've used that cooler before and the stock fan is quiet right up until about 70%, where it gets very loud.

Alternatively, I can sell you my 6700k and GTX 1070 for $3,000.

Check your video cards memory buffer. There are some games that use more than 3GB of VRAM @ 1080p depending on settings. I own one and have a few games that will. With the 1060 3GB, you will run out of VRAM before GPU. For the most part you should be getting great performance on your build. What other games do you play?

Hi man,
You got nice PC, here is my advice:
1. Get different PC case - your PC is suffocating with this case because of lack of airflow. Or will start suffocating when you overclock your cpu. This is IMPORTANT because without new case you shouldn't do anything else. Many people fall for looks and forget that your PC needs to breathe. We can advise you on some great choices if you want. Please don't skip this step before moving to next ones.
2. Overclock your CPU. There is a ton of unused power laying in your cpu, don't make it go to waste.
3. Overclock your GPU clock and memory. If you can afford then buy a 1070 gpu or used 980Ti (similar performance).
4. Change your PSU to a quality one - do not underestimate value of a good PSU. If you got low quality one then all it takes is one voltage spike and you got fried PC. Good choices as with cases - can be advised if you want.
5. Change thermal paste on your cpu and gpu (unless you bought new one)

Back