Trying to install a graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im trying to install a radeon 9200SE. At first i wanted to do multiple monitors. I thought i would use the onboard video card i have now and the new video card that i bought. Support told me that the Radeon wont work with the onboard video card and that i had to disable it. The only problem is i cant disable the video card. There is no jumper setting there is no thing in the BIOS that says i can disable it. All there is, is a setting saying primary video adapter setting and the choices are integrated and PCI. I tired switching it to PCI but if i have the Radeon hooked up to my computer the creen just stays blank and the only way to get back to being able to see the BIOS is if i take the Radeon Video card out.I dont know what else to do and i really want to use the video card. I relize that if i get the Video card to work then i can use the DVI plug thats on the video card and get a converter thing so i can have multiple monitors but my main concern is just getting it to work. I have an Emachines w2888. motherboard D845GVSR. thank you anyone that can help me

This pretty simple actually .. IF you are Using Xp

Press windows key and pause break same time this brings up System Properties then go to device manger.Go to Display adapters find your onboard one go right click properties down on the bottom you will see device usage slect disable.Turn off your computer install your new card hook monitor to new card let windows find your new card then install your drivers..

let us know

No that didn't work. I disabled the onboard video card then put the video card in and i plugged the monitor into the video card and the monitor wouldnt work it just stayed black

Well no ganurtee this will work you are trying to place a ATI card on a Emachine but lets try this a little backwards.. Install the new card place in your drivers while you are still using the on board one after the install disable the onboard stuff in steps already laid out try this.Let us know other choice would be a nvida pci card for second monitor

I put the card in and when i start up my computer it automaticly finds the card and says it installs drivers. I used the CD to try and install those drivers that are on the CD and when i tried to do that it gave me an error
it said
INF error Video driver not found
i clicked ok and then it said
setup was unable to complete the installation.
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver
before running setup.

on my asus p4b533-vm, when I installed a agp graphics card, I didn't have to install any drivers. The bios had an auto feature. The board has an 845G northbridge. It may be different for pci graphics cards. Also, last time I checked the intel d845gvsr's bios sucked. The poor thing may not support an extra good graphics card. Though I did have to run windows repair for some unknown reason. I have installed a graphics card before and never had the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back