Trying to network 3 pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bipolar_Gargoyl

Hey, i have 3 pc's running XP home. i have the 2 wire sbc modem (3MG) connection. i want to network all 3 to share info. and to share internet i seem to only get the internet on 3, but only sharing on 2, the 3rd pc only has 1 network card, 2nd has 2 cards and 1st has 2, 1st pc is getting internet thru usb from modem, 2nd is getting internet thru network card from modem. I have a D-Link ethernet router.. but only one way cables work, and no sharing from pc to pc. i have been on the phone with a tech for over 2 hours and can't get both sharing of info and internet. PLEASE HELP!!!

thanks Bipolar_gargoyle

you can't connect modem to router, then router to the computers? This would be the easiest setup, this would also not rely on that one PC to be up for you to get internet on the other two. It would also make it easier to share files since you'd only have to enable file sharing, make sure any firewalls are either disabled or configured for filesharing, and make sure all three machines are set to the same workgroup name in System Properties.

i can connect router to pc's, but only with one way cables, not with a cross over, sadly the 50ft cable i have is only a crossover, the router says it should work, but no. And i can't share files that way. I might have been confusing. the 2 main computers get seperate internet from the DSL modem, 1 thru usb and 1 thru ethernet cable. I can network the first 2 to share info. but in trying to add the 3rd one, i can get internet only from the pc with usb internet. i want to share all three in network for sharing info and have internet on all 3

It is the simple things that Just Work so I suggest you forget about your overcomplicated setup :p

Forget the USB. Connect the modem to the WAN port of the router. Connect the computers to the LAN ports of the router.
If you don't have the right kind of cable then buy or make one. Network cables cost almost nothing and they are definently worth losing the headaches you have and will get in the future with your current setup.

I did set my friend network up... You would need to use the internet line to modem, ethernet cable from modem to router #1, plug your 3 computer into #1, #2, #3. Make sure your computer has same worksgroup name. WAN is for off line using only

Lucan

Bushwhacker, where do you get your incorrect info? WAN port is where the incoming network signal goes(usually this would be the internet coming from from your modem)
In a basic router setup, your cables would go from modem to WAN(sometimes called Internet port on some routers) your computers would then connect to the LAN ports. You usually only connect internet line to a LAN port if you are going to configure the router as an AP only.

My friend has tried to connect the modem into Linksys WAN to make two computer working with network and Internet. It does not work even with same workgroup name. I told him to put the incoming line into #1 instead WAN and plug the remaining computer into #2 and #3, it works. His modem is from Easy3Web. I mean WAN is for offline use only, am i right?

Thanks for all the Advice, but i have tried to use a router, it gives me internet, but it doesn't let me share files back and forth with my other pc's. right now i have internet on all three, but had to use a seperate cable to share files for the main 2. I can't seem to get the 3rd one in the nework to share files. all have the same network name. i am not using the router right now. just network cards and cables.

I think the problem is in using usb port
most cable companys tell you not to use this port if you plan on networking
here's the deal
and this was pointed out earlyer
modem to wan or port one of router ,
if wan port use cross over cable(on my old dlink it worked)
and do not use the port 1 as they are usually tied together some how
modem ---->router......pc1
......pc2
......pc3
so if you have a 4 port router you can only use 3 of the ports connected to pc's
other first 2 ports are for the modem
nic cards should have netBEUI protocal enabled or added
high end managed routers may act diff

If you plug all your computers into the LAN ports then the router has no control over the data flowing between them. Your problem is with the computer setup, not the router.

There is no such thing in newer Windows versions. Just make sure you have client for windows networks and file sharing enabled in the local area connection properties.

going wireless & confused still

i meant netbeui, sorry, i have tried everything that has been suggested. I gave up... i am going wireless. but not sure if by doing that i can share info between pc's and internet at the sametime. I went to tigerdirect to look for what i needed and some cards say they can share internet OR info on a home network. i'm confused about this now.. can anyone put it in very simple terms.. my bipolar is realy acting up with being stressed out trying to get this to work.

It is not a hardware problem you have and just getting new hardware isn't going to fix it. Maybe ask someone with some experience to set things up for you?

You can share both internet and files with wireless at the same time.

Well thanks everyone for trying to help, i guess i will just have to save the money up and have someone come in and set it up. I even went to the microsoft home page and downloaded their instructions.. still won't work. Must be the operator.. lol

BB & MP

Bipolar

Are all the computers getting interent through the router? Can you ping the computers from eachother? What OS are they running? All XP? Home? Pro? Are they all in the same Workgroup(this is found in properties of My Computer on the Computer Name Tab) Is file sharing enabled on all the machines? If using XP pro is it set to Simple filesharing, if not you'll need to set proper permissions. Are there any firewalls? If any firewalls are running, shut them off until you get the network up, then set proper permissions for sharing.

BTW, with all those extra NICs, make sure you don't have any of them bridged, this could cause you some problems since you aren't doing anything that could possible need a bridged connection. Any bridges you find will be called something like "MAC Bridge Mini-port" uninstall them from device manager and NEVER run any network wizard in Windows again.

Also, going wireless isn't going to be any different except that you won't have the wires, and will have added problems from possible interference. If you can't get it set up wired, it ain't going to work wireless.
When I set up a network, I always connect everything hardwired, make all configuration changes, then disconnect the wires, set up all systems wireless, adjust settings as needed for firewalls and such, make sure everything still works wireless, then secure the network.

It Works!!!!

Well thanks for all the ideas and for trying to help with this, i really do appreciate it!!!! It had something to do with with norton... I think??? All i know is pc3 can see pc2... pc2 can see pc3 and p1 so i can transfer from pc1 to pc2 and then to pc3... which is just fine with me. Stops the kids from getting into MY pc and still lets them get music and files from me. :hotbounce

Thanks again,

Bipolar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back