Trying to remove the dual boot menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some previous answers on ow to do this, but Ihave a problem.

First of all, I installed Win 98 on my system on a clean drive, as my 2000 CD was refusing to boot and allow me to install that clean, so once I had a basic version of 98 installed, I installed 2000 over the top of that.

However, I now hae no file titled boot.ini anywhere on my drive, so how do I remove the dual boot menu that persists in coming up, even if I don't have two OS's?

(Current operating system is 2000)

You DO have a boot.ini, or windows 2000 would not boot.

Its a hidden system file, and you need to unhide it in order to see it.

windows explorer - tools - view - show hidden files and folders - untick "hide protected operating system files"

Now, find c:\boot.ini

right click it, and remove its read-only property if it has one.

Now, open it in notepad (should just have to double click it.)

First two lines read like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30

Change it to

[boot loader]
timeout=0

Reboot, and you should see no menu at all.

How stupid do I feel?

I completely forgot that there is the added system protection - I just selected show hidden files, forgot about the rest.

Cheers mate

Chris

No Problem. I hope you can stay here and help others in return.

If people are always helping each other, everything will be cool.

There is another way to get rid of that in Win2k which is easier than editing the boot.ini file (in my opinion). All you do is right click on my computer, select the advanced tab, click on startup and recovery, and at the top it should say system startup. Choose the OS you want from the pulldown menu and uncheck the Display list option, hit ok and you are set. Easy way to do this for users afraid of editing system files.

That works too lalaji - thos old people keep trying to do things the old school way though :)

So here's a kicker, what if I have done all that you have suggested, even to the point of deleting the D partition housing Win98? How do I get rid of the highly irritating boot menu? :mad:
Thanks in advance for your help

Hey I have this same problem except I have triple boot. 1.Windows XP Pro(which is the operating system I have) 2.Windows XP Home ..and 3.Windows XP start up

Please help me get rid of these!! Everytime I go into Windows XP pro it loads but it goes into some sort of safe mode. No internet , everything is big.

Thanks!

I have a problem,
I built a new computer and created a raid 5, 1.2 TB. I loaded XP Pro to the raid volume. I then created a separate partition that contains just the OS. I installed another hard drive 200 GB non raid. I installed XP pro to this drive. I now have a dual boot system, but I want to remove the OS on the raid volume an absorb that patition back into the raid volume so the raid is just storage. My problem is that the boot ini is on the OS on the raid volume. How do delete this OS and be able to boot to my new installation of XP on the non raid disk?

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you,

Thanks Guys these posts solved my problem

One comment I have is the problem was stated- the solution was given the next post, and another solution was given, then a few people state the exact same problem. Expecting a different answer? Do it. It's windows, from 98 on they have a boot.ini. Just go to the run command if you want to do it the fast way - hit Flag + R then type in c:\boot.ini . Then edit it as stated and save. :D P.s. Raid man you've got problems. Good luck with that one. Raid is a lame concept anyway. Want a faster hard drive? Get a solid state drive. Want to backup files? Get norton ghost and an external hard drive.

Hey Phantasm66,I have one question. I read your post about "Trying to remove the dual boot menu". I had Windows Vista and Windows Xp Pro. I format the drive where Windows Vista was and i have still boot menu. If i do like you said i think that i will not have boot menu but my system will go automaticaly in windows vista (it's deleted) and it will say bla bla bla.. is missing restarting in 10 seconds or something like that because always the newer version of windows is highlighted. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back