TechSpot

Tuesday tech deals: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD $188, Samsung 46-inch TV $698

By Ivan Franco
May 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Beach Camera offers the Samsung 256GB 840 Pro MLC SSD, for a final checkout price of $187.99 with free shipping ($0.73/GB). Plus, get 940 Rakuten Points with your order. Assuming you use the credit, that's $21 under our mention from...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,977   +908

$188 for a 840 Pro. Good deal.

3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Samsung have the fastest SSDs from my experience. But I always go Intel for the warranty, no matter the price.

4. JC713

Yeah if Samsung had a 5 year warranty I would be completely sold. What is the Intel warranty?

5. spydercanopus

It says 5 years now. They weren't when first released. Although Intel will have a replacement the next day. Not sure of the quality of service with Samsung.

6. JC713

Non-sandforce Intel SSDs are the only ones I will think of.

7. spydercanopus

Intel 520 Sandforce increased the performance of my servers by a LOT over the 320 non-sandforce. What's your beef?

8. JC713

Yes, but sand force controllers are known to be unreliable.

9. spydercanopus

That's simply untrue. I have had failures on the 320's but not the 520's. I run servers that are constantly random-read/writing to the drives 24/7 and 520's are faster and more reliable.

10. JC713

They have probably been improved since I have used one.

11. spydercanopus

That is probably true. There were some firmware issues initially

12. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +175

Wasn't the actual sandforce controllers that were unreliable. It was bad initial firmware *coupled* with crap Intel SATA drivers and dodgy Intel chipset power saving features. Intel's SATA 3 implementation was rubbish and out of spec. Chipsets dropping voltages out of spec causing device instability for example. Sandforce just happened to expose the issues and everyone else got off scott free off their work pushing the barrier as it were.

Intel waited to release 520s until after OCZ etc exposed the issues and they were ironed out and got a nice squeaky clean release. How convenient for no leg work?

Even now Intel drivers have poor support for RAID + TRIM. Newer drivers are software locked to support RAID-0 on 7 series boards (you can hack the drivers to gain the support in 6 and 5 series) so again pathetic Intel support for a feature they should have had 3+ years ago.

A lot of misrepresentation over Sandforce controllers still floating around. The Sammy's and OCZ's new controllers outperform them now anyway.

I have 2 Sandforce SSDs with zero problems in 2 years and they are beasts. Zero regrets.

JC713 likes this.
  13. JC713

Great explanation. Is Intel Rapid Storage Technology Intel's SATA drivers? Or is it an actual SATA controller driver?

14. Darth Shiv

The RSTs are the problem - I believe they contain the SATA controller driver if I'm not mistaken. The consistency of performance is still an issue and general functional support is still an issue. E.g. you can get greatly varying SSD performance depending on RST version. You also have deficient TRIM support on all versions in varying scenarios.

I would not confidently install the latest RSTs if I was setting up a RAID array with SSDs for example. In fact even for a single drive, I'd be careful and check enthusiast forums for RST version recommendations.

15. JC713

I guess I will stick with my decision to get a 840 Pro SSD for my Haswell build. The new firmware is supposed to improve performance.

16. Darth Shiv

Yes actually I was looking at doing the same :)

17. Ryan Evans

Ryan Evans TS Rookie

Try to refrain from the Marvell ports because they usually give lower 4k reads and writes. They can cause system instability and one can experience freezing/stuttering and longer boot times when enabled because it is a 3rd party addon, has a limited bandwidth of ~or below 400MB/s for both of the ports total (even in RAID 0 while the SATA 3Gb/s ports can reach higher speeds), higher latencies, and from what I have found still do not support TRIM

18. JC713

Yeah they have always had slow 4k read/writes. It is improving though.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.