Turn any surface into a touchscreen with new Ubi software

By David Tom
Aug 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Touchscreens have altered the way we view and interact with technology. Current systems confine the touch interface to the device it is shipped with, most often smartphones, tablets, and the latest wave of laptops. But a newly launched product by...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,579   +488

That's all B.S. It will never look nice on a random surface. Not to mention that many surfaces are not pleasant or suitable for dragging your fingers across.

If you really want to use it on a regular basis, you will need a dedicated surface, designed for something like this, which will then defeat original purpose of the product.
    JC713 likes this.
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +82

I wonder if it will work with rear projection TV's, so you're not standing in the light blocking part of a projected image?
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Sure, that's what I want to do. Smudge up my 55" HDTV.
    ikesmasher likes this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,721   +873

This is cool, but has its limits like Vitaly said.
  6. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

Wasn't there a way to do this with a Wii?
    tehbanz likes this.
  7. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 624   +57

So you don't see the use for this in a classroom? Places that already have projectors in place, but looking to foot a huge bill to upgrade to the smarter boards?
  8. Cue UbiSoft's legal department in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...
  9. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 215   +46

I am sure you speak for the rest of the world..
  10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

Boy they like to throw in Angry birds don't they like it's the only game to play. Okay this tech coming along I see and they're having fun showing off the prototype to use to give us a tease.
  11. theruck

theruck Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

Why do companies develop such useless technologies... if we continue like this then working 12 hours on a pc would be as hard as working 12 hours in the mines. why would I want to stand in front of a projector and do these exercises if I can click and move the picture on a tablet or phone while not covering the half of the projected image?

12. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

More of a Fad, I don't think much usage will come from this tech although you see a lot of it on TV, Movies an etc.. Makes you look cool using this tech. New tech will come out being even better than this tech.
  13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,825   +703

"Transforming a boring whiteboard".
    My my how things have changed. In my day I used to have to listen to the chalk squealing across a blackboard while trying to read an 'Archie & Jughead comic' folded into one of my text books.
  14. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Exactly, we did a presentation in college with the wii method, you use a wiimote and a FREE piece of software and it worked very well.

http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/
  15. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

This software is SUCH BS. According to the website "Each version comes with ONE year of free updates.."

Not to mention the price point is just ridiculous.. and it scales on touch points? Booo!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.