Turn Computer into DVR/PVR/Security Capture Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Ok. I am trying to decide on the easiest way to hook 2 RCA input cameras up to a computer. Right now I have a media center PC that I connect 1 of them to via RCA input. However I need to add another camera, so I'm looking for a solution.

I will most likely not use the computer I currently have setup because I have a spare computer laying around, and I think I'll use it as a dedicated DVR/PVR/Security capture computer.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for some type of card or setup to accomplish this?

Also, I might try to incorporate an HD capture card.

As always let's try to keep costs down.

EDIT----I've found a card that appears to do what I want.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any software to use with this?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1080978&CatId=1322

Obviously it will need to have support for viewing multiple cameras at once.

BUMP......

Perhaps I should make this a bit more simple.

Has anyone used any type of Surveillance DVR software that allows multiple cameras? What are your thoughts on it? Any other recommendations based on your experiences.

The software doesn't look like a problem. http://www.nchsoftware.com/surveillance/index.html appears to do what you want.

The problem is connecting 2+ cameras to a PC. Looks like you could run 32 cameras at once if they all could reach your PCs USB ports. Getting both cameras to the PC is a challenge hopefully you've got a solution to.

Edit: The card you linked in the first post looks like it comes with its own software, so where is the problem? One of the reviews said it only works with its software, but then again you don't ever know how intelligent those people are. The software I linked said it will work with anything that has Windows drivers...

I only linked that specific card because that was what I found. I have not much research otherwise yet. If the software supplied works, then that might be the route I take.

The cameras I will plug in will either be BNC or RCA, depending on the setup. I know they make adapters to go between the 2 platforms.

The camera I currently am using has a 50' RCA cable that runs through the attic and connects to my media center PC.

Thanks for the reply. I'll continue looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back