TechSpot

Twitter files for IPO, analysts value company at $10 to $20 billion

By Jos
Sep 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Twitter is kicking into motion one of the most anticipated initial public offerings in the tech industry since Facebook. The popular microblogging service yesterday announced -- via a Tweet, no less -- that it has confidentially submitted an S-1 to...

Read more

2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

I see the so called "analysts" has gone a little soft this time.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Wow, Guardian, way to remember why Facebook had to go public and pass it off like it's some huge insight.

That's because FB went public at $38 and within two weeks it was down to $25. Unless your name is Google selling ads isn't a terrific way to bring in revenue. it's easy to think of FB and Twitter like MS and Apple because they are all tech companies, but having a real product to sell is what makes all the money.

4. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

It's obvious that analysts these days are dishonest and just there to make a quick buck by talking up the valuation of the IPO in the beginning, cash in on the initial hype, and stick the average joe with the bill. 2 years ago when my buddy and I were sitting in the coffee shop talking about FB IPO, I remember all he was saying was how great it was, that it was the next big thing. I just remember all I was saying was there was no way it was worth 38 bil, let along 100 bil, in fact I used the exact words that I wouldn't even touch their stock with a 10ft pole that it wasn't even worth 20 bil. the intrinsic value of the company just wasn't there.. too bad too few people realized that, and many got burnt. pisses me off when people go to supermarket and compare prices over a dollar, and they can't even bother to look into the stock they're buying.

Chazz likes this.
  5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

What about the Molex $7 billion buyout this week by Koch? Or was that the opposite? That's a tech company right near where I live. You heard of Molex connectors?

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I hope it doesnt turn into another Facebook IPO.

7. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 671   +73

I think twitter has a little more staying power than Facebook. That instant worldwide notification that it brings is so nice. Finding out Tony Romo isn't seriously hurt while halftime is running saved me like 20 minutes of panic attack. So useful

8. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,536   +2,335

Playing the middleman can be very lucrative as well, and that's where Twitter has more viability long-term than Facebook; they have a platform better setup to work with this type of business. Will they be able to compete on a Google level? No. But that doesn't mean they don't have the ability to carve out their own spot in the advertising business. Though, the 10-20 billion valuation does feel a smidge high.