TechSpot

Twitter says it will ban Donald Trump if he violates the site's rules

By midian182
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:30 AM
Post New Reply
  1. After Twitter had brought down the banhammer on a number of high-profile accounts associated with “alt-right” movements earlier this week, the question was raised whether it would ever remove its most famous "controversial" Tweeter: Donald Trump. When asked if it really would ban the President-elect, the microblogging site said that if he broke the rules then his account would be removed.

A company spokesperson told Slate: “The Twitter Rules prohibit violent threats, harassment, hateful conduct, and multiple account abuse, and we will take action on accounts violating those policies.”

When pressed on whether this specifically means Trump would be banned if he was judged to have broken the rules, the spokesperson confirmed: “The Twitter Rules apply to all accounts, including verified accounts.”

Not long after Twitter introduced its recent anti-troll measures, the site banned the head of the National Policy Institute, Richard Spencer. “This is corporate Stalinism,” said Spencer. “Twitter is trying to airbrush the Alt Right out of existence. They’re clearly afraid. They will fail!”

Back in July, the site permanently banned one of Trump’s biggest supporters, Breitbart tech editor Milo Yiannopoulos, for allegedly inciting his followers to send abusive tweets to Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones.

Twitter has long tried to walk a fine line between keeping its reputation as a home for free speech and taking action against abusive users. One could only imagine the uproar that banning Trump would cause.

It seems Twitter’s stance is in contrast to that of Facebook. Some of the social network's employees called for Trump’s Facebook page to be suspended because his posts about banning Muslims from entering the US violate the site’s rules on hate speech. However, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said it would be inappropriate for the company to interfere with a major-party candidate’s political posts.

Permalink to story.

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,556   +862

So if you break twitters rules you get banned? and this was news worthy....how? trumps account isnt and hasnt gotten any special treatment?

MilwaukeeMike and Win7Dev like this.
  3. Kunming

Kunming TS Enthusiast Posts: 63   +17

No private company, maybe especially american ones, can ever be the "home" of free-speech. Come on.

But hey, maybe Trump will go on a banning spree. First banned by Twitter, then FB, then... UK?

Milest likes this.
  4. EClyde

EClyde TS Guru Posts: 707   +181

Real or imagined? These people are DERANGED.

wizardB and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,673   +778

Do they mean "again" ....... seriously, to bad POTUS (after inaugurated) might be a pretty handy case of banning free speech. Don't know if he could pull it off, but with the troop of laywers he has, he could surely keep them wrapped up in court for more than a few decades .....

Win7Dev and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  6. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Time to ban Facebook worldwide...

SirChocula, wizardB, Kenrick and 2 others like this.
  7. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 562   +173

The pope would get banned if broke the rules too. I don't get the point of this post.

m4a4 and mojorisin23 like this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

Well if they do ban him then he commands a lot of men wearing black suits and dark glasses who knows where the people who banned him live and where they keep their kneecaps.

wizardB likes this.
  9. mojorisin23

mojorisin23 TS Booster Posts: 124   +23

Sure they will ban him... he probably provides 5% of the overall traffic to stupid twitter. might as well shoot yourself in the foot while youre at it.

10. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,553   +2,359

He'll just move to gab.ai and Twitter will go from "falling" to "plummeting."

11. Bigtruckseries

Bigtruckseries TS Maniac Posts: 410   +219

The only way to beat the liberal swine is to go around them.

Trump could start his own social network, just like he's starting his own news network.

Facebook and Twitter disgust me.

Considering he's PRESIDENT-elect now, anything he says is basically Executive "policy" now.

12. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 401   +208

L M A O at the safe spacers ...

13. Bigtruckseries

There are no safe spaces.

There's no place to hide anymore.

Your "feelings" have been put on notice.

Milest, SirChocula and wizardB like this.
  14. Bigtruckseries

Jill Stein couldn't even raise $7,000,000 for her own campaign.
    It's time both she and Hillary, Hillary's ugly daughter and Bill disappear into the sunset - or wherever carpetbagging grifters go.

President Trump is going to revolutionize social media discourse.

All safe spaces will be dissolved.

bluto 2050, wizardB and Agnomen like this.
  15. DLBU1

DLBU1 TS Rookie

Ever since he got elected is he much more moderate in what he says, I don't he will give them a reason to ban him.

wastedkill likes this.
  16. mbrowne5061

mbrowne5061 TS Evangelist Posts: 336   +132

I want to see them do it, just so I can watch the internet burn.

Capaill, TheDreams and davislane1 like this.
  17. ManuelV

ManuelV TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +26

Haha, what is more funny, twitter having to ban an elected president because of his hate comments or the trumplivers disagreeing completely?.

The last, now more moderated, tweet I saw was "Fidel is dead!"

18. Capaill

Capaill TS Addict Posts: 290   +92

He's going to have to roll back on a lot of what he promised. He got into power by inciting people who wanted hard changes. He hasn't a hope of actually implementing many of those changes but he could cause a lot of anger and division along the way.
    Twitter is a privately-owned website - they can and should be able to do what they want, within their own rules. Just as a shop or bar can refuse to serve you if they wish. Nothing wrong with that as long as the reasons are just.

19. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,186   +580

I hope that's sarcasm. You do realize the implications of using the secret service as a hitman organization would be correct?

20. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

Sarcasm... Me??? Heaven forbid. ;)

21. jukeyjunk

jukeyjunk TS Rookie

Well I guess we know who Twitter wanted to be president... take a break wow.

SirChocula, wizardB and dms96960 like this.
  22. Kunming

Kunming TS Enthusiast Posts: 63   +17

You're right. Best use the tried and tested CIA or FBI instead. The customary media-blackout will ensure there's no blowback.

wastedkill and cliffordcooley like this.
  23. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 910   +387

I've never figured out what the "excitement" was about twitter. I look at twitter, as something for twits, but, it's a free country. If that's what trips your trigger, go for it. I have more important things to do, than waste my time "twittering".
    Now, as far as banning someone, it's a PRIVATE company, they can have a TOS anyway they want, and if you agree to the TOS, they have the right to ban anyone that they wish.
    Don't like it, design your own system. It's a free country.

wizardB likes this.
  24. Jack007

Jack007 TS Booster Posts: 161   +34

there are millions of people that dont care and will never hear from the Pope. why is he so important. I agree with twitter bann whoever causes hate speech. Nowadays hate speeches can cause wars or to say the least people that would find a way to hurt others innocently

25. Jack007

Jack007 TS Booster Posts: 161   +34

Its a free country until hate speech cause people to fight against people. I am sure America doesnt want to be culled like what happened in the past. Culling is so easily done nowadays it only takes a spark to light a huge fire that cannot be distinguished until long after soo many thousand lives are lost. I sure people wouldnt want a massacre just for sake of a few hateful words. Twitter is right to stop anyone that encourages hate even if its only a little

MonsterZero likes this.