Typical Wireless Network Adaptor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the approx. gain on a typical cardbus wireless network adaptor (no external antenna) is?

I'm asking this because I am planning on buying a new antenna with a higher gain.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin16 said:
Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the approx. gain on a typical cardbus wireless network adaptor (no external antenna) is?

I'm asking this because I am planning on buying a new antenna with a higher gain.

Thanks,
Kevin
The maximum FCC permited transmit power is +15dBm, coupling to an impedance matched antenna caused 50% power loss which is -3db down. Most standard built-in antennas are 2dBi to 4dBi and brought the aparent radiated transmit power back to normalize maximum.

nein said:
The maximum FCC permited transmit power is +15dBm, coupling to an impedance matched antenna caused 50% power loss which is -3db down. Most standard built-in antennas are 2dBi to 4dBi and brought the aparent radiated transmit power back to normalize maximum.

QFT

Additionally you may want to stay with the B/G 2.4ghz standard as you can attach an external antenna (on some models) and signal gain equipment. I don't know the specifics of it, but the 5ghz band ones (such as 802.11A) can't be modded like that per FCC. It's one of the reasons the old 802.11B Orinoco cards are so popular still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back