Ubuntu 11.04

Tomorrow_Rains

MY problem is Simple yet Tricky.

I'm trying to have my Desktop Computer Host a series of Files and Folders that Several laptops in my Home can connect to and use the Files inside these folders and/or Write or Delete.

So simply put, i want to share.

Unfortuneatly i have ubuntu 11.04 and Completely blanked out the other day when i attempted it.

So heres the low down.

My Desktop is connected to the wireless router. And the three laptops are connected to the router wirelessly. The three laptops have windows 7 And the Desktop has Ubuntu 11.04

Can anyone post a small guide on how to get these to connect. I have tried a guide that ubuntu posted up and the laptops have not been able to find the Desktop. Also, i must be doing something wrong connection wise correct?

Thanks for all of your help guys!

I can't really give you a step by step guide as towards making an Ubuntu machine play nice and share with Microsoft Windows, but I can display what started it all for me in regards to being able to share file folders, streaming media, music files and the like via cross platforms.

The Samba File Server

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/samba-fileserver.html

Some Samba Configuring Information

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/configuring-samba.html

With the little bit of information I've given you there, it should be enough to give you a good push in the right direction. Setting up my Samba File Server went off without as much as a hitch, simple, streamlined and fairly easy to use. I'm sure other may post here with more "technical" information for you, but for me this system really works.

Good luck...................:)

Rain:

Just popped in here to check and see if your little "share" problem got ironed out? Why not give us all a quick "update", did Samba work, did you run with something else, did you give up on the idea?

Just was curious..............

(Sorry for back to back posts here, not trying to spam, just doing a welfare check.)

Give up? Nope i never give up (LOL) i got samba to work, i now have my Ubuntu machine running 24/7 as a fileshare server. i'm just trying to figure out now how to add security permissions to personal computers aside from business computers. But everything went better than expected. thanks allot for your help guys. If you know anything regarding permissions i would greatly appreciate the help!

BTW i have 1 ubuntu desktop and 8 laptops running windows 7 all sharing with each other. id like to stop the laptops from seeing each other and only seeing the Ubuntu Drive.

Also Zen, Could you point me in the direction where you got your Dock on your OS. i know you're running MINT but is there a compatible Dock for ubuntu?

Thanks,

And if you have some spare time could you give me some TIPS on what Linux distro to use for Commercial Server Use?

Well I am so glad to hear that everything is slowly working out for you, also glad to see that Samba worked out! As far as "permissions" go, those can be accessed at the time you set up a file folder on your hard drive, to be shared. Normally at that point is where I apply the permissions of the file folder.

Also when it comes to your inquiry about what type of "dock" I'm using, I'm using a program called Cairo Dock! And no, I'm not running Mint as far as I can tell, I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and grabbed Cairo Dock through Ubuntu's software center.

So if I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 that dock program must be compatible, right? :)

Again, glad everything is coming together for you!

Back