TechSpot

Ubuntu doesn't like my 8800gts

By HPCE_Larry
May 11, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an 8800gts. I try to start Ubuntu but it complains about a video card issue. Any idea how to make this work? I'm rather new to Linux.
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

What driver did you install or download for the 8800gts to work with Ubuntu?
  3. HPCE_Larry

HPCE_Larry Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 189

Thats the problem, I don't have the driver. I'll make myself more clear. I put in boot off the dvdand get to the screen talking about start or install, memtest, etc. I click start or install and the loading screen with the orange bar apears, but gags part way through complaining about a graphics issue.
  4. Rayss523

Rayss523 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 121

any updates on this? I'm interested in using ubuntu...
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

If you're using a live CD, I can't help, but if you've installed it onto a hard disk drive, install Nvidia's driver 100.14.11.

Download and run sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run as root (or sudo).
  6. RedVision_350

RedVision_350 Newcomer, in training

I had this problem earlier during my install of Ubuntu. Go to the VGA and try lowering the screen resolution. I didn't have any drivers for my video either, but it got me to the setup when I changed the screen resolution.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.