Ubuntu-powered high-end phones from an unnamed OEM coming next year

1. Canonical on Tuesday announced that the company has entered an agreement with a smartphone maker to get Ubuntu Touch, its mobile operating system, out in the market. "We have concluded our first set of agreements to ship Ubuntu on mobile...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,100   +222

Dunno about you but I think if they made it on kickstarter might have had more success, still cant wait for the phones they look amazing!
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +507

This is a no news, while presented without a single reason of why on earth somebody would want to use this OS. As they say - want doesn't get. On my count, it has been 3 years since uBuntu for desktop lost its momentum.
  4. heldeman

heldeman Newcomer, in training

Well done Mark. I cant wait for the phone next year. Now think some one design a new dock station which will take a SSD and a fast Graphic card, power supply and fan. A super computer in your pocket!! When this happen Ubuntu one will make a very large dent in the desktop, laptop, tablet, phone and Ubuntu TV with their one for all systems. Window are only starting to think in that direction, and what about Apple?
  5. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Hmm what to make of a new phone os. If they are going to launch phones that cost 600 bucks like everybody else why bother? And it might depend on what carrier offers the phone
  6. I hope that by high-end they intend to have a convergent device like the Ubuntu edge. either way I am excited Ubuntu touch is a beautiful OS I have it installed on my Nexus 4
  7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 956   +96

I knew the crowdsource funding would fail. The specs were too high and so was the goal. This OS will start with an overseas carrier in China or India, or maybe a small European carrier, but it won't get big in North America. I like the OS a lot, but it won't survive.
  8. heldeman

heldeman Newcomer, in training

Live and let live. Don't be a troll.
  9. waterytowers

waterytowers Newcomer, in training Posts: 85

I hope it survives, it is another alternative to iPhone, Android, and Windows Phones. I don't like Windows Phone or the iPhone experience but Android is ok and has been improving a lot in the last couple of iterations. Something using native C++ could mean better performance per watt than Android, that really is the only thing missing from Android. My Nexus 5 doesn't last a whole day and that is a minimum for a smartphone to become really useful.
    heldeman likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.