Ubuntu will not boot from dvd-rom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I recently installed Frisky Fawn on my laptop (From a Live cd in my dvd. Grrr.) It is having problems, i.e locks up after a few minutes, and I want to either reinstall Ubuntu to make it work right (a Guru told me I maybe wrote the Live cd at too high a speed, so I downloaded another copy and burned it at the slowest setting) or reinstall XP.

My issue is: My bios wont see my dvd-rom drive. When I go into the bios setup to rearrange the boot order, there is no "+" next to the dvd option like there is the hdd. (It sees my hdd just fine.) So when I select boot from dvd in the "Boot device menu" it boots from my hdd regardless of where it is on the list. (External drive and network are the other two choices, neither are valid.)

I had no trouble rebooting from the Live cd when I started this adventure, so I have no idea why I do now. Did Ubuntu change my bios? I wouldn't have thought it did, but now I have a laptop that locks up evert 5 min, and no way to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Iggy

Try going into your BIOS setup and resetting to defaults. Reboot and then see if you can launch from your DVD drive. Alternatively, a lot of BIOS's will let you press a function key to pull up a boot menu during startup. (F11 on my laptop) From the boot menu, you can chose which device to boot from.

Nope, still not booting from dvd

I tried reseting the defaults like you suggested, but same thing. On my laptop the boot menu is F12, but the issue is that the BIOS is not seeing it as a valid boot device.

Thank you for your reply, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back