UEFI restore defaults settings every time I turn on the PC

Hello, I'm having this frustrating issue with my PC and I can't find any solution. I hope some of you guys can help.

Few days ago I've got this message on the screen right after turning on the PC: UEFI date/time not set, press F2 to setup, F1 to continue. So googling around I've find what seemed to be the solution, that is change the CMOS battery. Then when I restarted, this message was replaced by this one: UEFI defaults have been loaded, press F2 to setup, F1 to continue. Since then I'm not able to start the PC without getting this message and more important I can't save any UEFI. This would happen ONLY if I also unplug the power cord. If I just shut down the system and leaving the power cord plugged in, the system boot up normally. By pressing F1 I can get to Windows and the system seems to run smooth, without any problem. CPU temps are normal, RAM get detected normally, SSD and HDD works, everything seems fine.

I tried pretty much everything to solve the problem and I followed similar posts but without any luck.

This is what I've tried so far: CMOS reset with jumpers (few times) and by removing the battery, changed the old battery with a new one and tested both with a voltmeter (both 2,9V pretty much), clean the battery holder with alcohol and by rubbing the contacts, disconnect any peripherals device, flashing the UEFI with the new update (2.00) and even the older ones (1.80,1.90), changed UEFI settings, reinstalled Windows 10 three times and changed between Home and Pro versions, updated all the drivers, disabled all the USB ports, removed the MB from the case, cleaned all the parts and mounted it back, even changed thermal paste..

As you can see this is driving me crazy!!!Please help!

These are my specs:
MB: ASRock H97 Pro4
CPU: Intel 15 4440
RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Fury Black DDR3
GPU: Onboard graphics (atm because I'm waiting for the new ones)
SSD: Samsung Evo 250 GB Sata III
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
PSU: Enermax Triathlor ECO 550W

MONITOR: AOC g2460pf (this info is probably useless but all this started because I needed to install beta drivers for it and had to reinstall Windows 10 to do that)

I apologize for my poor English but it isn't my native language. Thanks in advance.

CMOS should be in excess of 3.2v (fresh new CR2032) when tested with a DC voltmeter. 2.9v indicates nearing 'end of life'.

F2 -setup - may need to adjust from 'default' - may be necessary to select boot drive, proper memory voltage (double check that memory is on 'supported' list at motherboard manufacturer (I had similar problem with RAM on another motherboard which required 0.1v more than standard), etc.

Thanks for the reply. So in your opinion might be the battery, even tough it's brand new? Should I get another one? About the boot drive this is the boot order: 1 Windows manager boot 2 UEFI OS 3 SSD (where the OS is installed) 4 HDD (storage). Btw can you tell me what number 1 and 2 are? I don't get it. I already tried to change the order but nothing change and every time it resets because the problem. About the RAM, I used it with default settings for the last year without any problem and it should be supported, it just "run" at 1600 mhz instead of 1866 mhz for what I know, maybe I'm wrong. Again thank you for helping me..

A new CMOS battery should be in excess of 3.2v. To me, 2.9v indicates that it is 'old' - too long on the shelf. Voltage rapidly drops once it starts to fall. I replace mine at 3.1v.

1 Windows boot manager - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsb/g/bootmgr.htm
2 UEFI - boot from EFI - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/efifile.htm

Changing boot in UEFI -

Manual for your motherboard should give more specifics.

Memory - unsure what you 'explained' - does the reset BIOS set RAM properly?

I'm going to buy a new battery and try whit it. About the RAM I've never touched the RAM settings since I get the PC and it worked well so far, it only works at 1600mhz instead of 1866mhz because the MB only support that. About the boot order can you explain, with your words, what Windows Boot Manager and UEFI OS do? Shouldn't the SSD be the first one on the boot list? I know this is probably basic stuff for you but I'm new to these things so I hope you can help me.

Windows boot manager should give you a choice of the boot capabilities in system.
UEFI boot is one of them and uses boot information that is not confined to special tracks on the boot device - and usually offers a backup copy.
Legacy BIOS boot is confined to specific tracks and is subject to failure if the boot device is failing
Boot order should be managed in BIOS or UEFI so that you can get boot from USB or CD or second HD

Specific BIOS/UEFI for your system should be described in the manual for the system - or if DIY in the manual for the motherboard

The lower frequency should not be a problem. I was concerned that the voltage requirement might not match what the system was set to provide. Speed difference is minimal as the clock would be faster for the lower freq.

Back