UK man uses GDPR to discover he spent over $10,000 on FIFA

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) was designed to help protect the personal information of EU citizens, giving them more control over their data and how companies use it. But it’s also been used for an unexpected purpose: allowing a FIFA player to discover he’d spent at least $10,000 on the game over two years.

UK resident Michael, who didn’t want to reveal his second name, told Eurogamer he made the request on the day GDPR came into effect in Europe—May 25. He said this was motivated by the ongoing loot box controversy and a belief in momentum—the idea that FIFA cheats by creating “dynamic moments” that help the losing team or make things harder for the team that is winning.

"I was intrigued to see if any of the data related to any of these topics," Michael said.

30 days later, Michael received two 100-page long PDF files from EA that included his FIFA engagement data, stats, player transfers, and real-world money expenditure (in the form of FIFA points) on Ultimate Team card packs. While the many hundreds of hours he’d been playing game over the last two years probably didn’t come as a surprise, the $10,000+ Michael spent on it was a shock. “Gobsmacked,” as he put it.

"Special events such as Black Friday, TOTY, FUT Birthday, TOTS, Futties, etc, I would have thrown in thousands upon thousands of FIFA Points without even a second thought,” he said. Eurogamer noted that the actual amount spent on FIFA games is likely to be closer to $16,000 over the two years.

Michael said that since he and his fiancé have a high disposable income, that amount wouldn’t have caused a financial strain on the pair. But he says this should be a warning to those who might become addicted to loot boxes and can’t afford to sustain their habit.

As for Michael, he’s promised to try and cut back on his spending for FIFA 19. "If anything, the data EA has provided me has made me realize that FIFA Points are just not worth it and $10,000 will be better spent over the next two years."

You can find out more about Michael’s GDPR release on Reddit and Imgur.

Permalink to story.

If I was this guy, I wouldn't want to reveal my full name either.
Why? Would you be ashamed to have spent 10 grand on what you like to do? It doesn't matter if it's a game, it clearly is beyond a game for him if he has spent that much money and time in it.

If you are passionate about something (And you can afford it!) just do it ;)

Why? Would you be ashamed to have spent 10 grand on what you like to do? It doesn't matter if it's a game, it clearly is beyond a game for him if he has spent that much money and time in it.

Exactly... since he had high disposable income and could afford it. It's all about scale - not any different compare to people who spend $300k on a Ferrari because they enjoy driving luxury fast cars and can afford them.

If you spend more than $40-$60 on a game you're an id10t.

Comparing a simple game to a very complex exotic car is ridiculous. That's like saying spending $200k on a couple vegetable plants is somehow acceptable.
You think he is dumb, I think you are narrow sighted for saying that. See how opinion works?

He is enjoying whatever it is he is doing, good for him!

He's a ***** not because he can do whatever he likes with his money but because how the hell does one not realize that you spent $10K or more on a game?
Even if I have $10K or however much I am spending on whatever, I still know how much I am spending. I don't just not know.
All the money in my bank account, I know what goes where. I guess this guy is more carefree about where his money goes. Let's hope he doesn't need that money one day. He could have spent it or used it more wisely.

You think he is dumb, I think you are narrow sighted for saying that. See how opinion works?

He is enjoying whatever it is he is doing, good for him!

No, I don't. The fact that he didn't need to spend that much says it in spades.

I don't know about you, but the fact this article exists is because he did NOT enjoy it because of the expenditure nullifies your response. See how facts work?

I think you are missing the point, if you are having buyer's remorse clearly as he is having, it is a problem versus something beneficial.

All the money in my bank account, I know what goes where. I guess this guy is more carefree about where his money goes. Let's hope he doesn't need that money one day. He could have spent it or used it more wisely.

Yeah, but he'd probably have used it on other disposable things, like a vacation, buying a slightly better car, or whatever. I can think of several reasons to know exactly what you spend: you're a miser, you love financial stuff, or you're in a tough financial spot. However if your savings generally go up and they're enough for a reasonably rainy day, knowing exactly how much you spend and on what is the kind of chore you can avoid.

Plenty of rich *****s exactly the same shame so many pay to win games in which these dumb rich people can flourish

Back