TechSpot

Ultra-rare Nintendo game lands on eBay

By Shawn Knight
Jan 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. One of the rarest Nintendo games ever has found its way to eBay and is expected to bring a significant amount of money for its lucky owner. It’s called Nintendo World Championships and if you haven’t heard of it before,...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,556   +862

If I were a collector I would never spend such money on something in that condition...
    thats not getting a ferrari with a scratch, thats getting a ferrari thats been in a terrible wreck, repaired, and given tires off of a prius...

3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Im kinda the same way in this case, the label having a bit taken off is one thing but the whole label on this is ruined. I collect classic game consoles and games especially in the NES era but I just could not justify the price (Which is already at 11k on ebay when I looked). These Nintendo World Championship grey cartridges were handed out to the winners and got passed around doing different means throughout the years. My guess is that this one was probably one of the handed out cartridges and it got handled by a young kid who ripped the label off which sadly knocked a huge chunk off its value.

But then again, which only a little over a hundred of these in existence, even in this case people will pay boat loads of money to add it to their collection since these rarely enter back into the market except once every 5-10 years.

wastedkill and ikesmasher like this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

It's like selling the last fart of prince Charles :)

cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

Price is up to 14.1K.

Edit:
    I'm not a collector but if I was, why should the condition of such a rare object matter? Think about it; no matter what the condition, you would be lucky to even have it. Now if you actually had a choice of conditioning, I would understand wanting better quality.

6. ikesmasher

I guess the way I would phrase my original post to respond to this one is that I would rather pay 10k more for it in 5 years than buy a crappy one now.

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Does rare = value? I sincerely don't understand why anyone would pay a nickel for this except perhaps a museum showing old technology. I guess I don't understand the 'collector' mindset. But it is your money.......so do with it what you will.

captaincranky likes this.
  8. cliffordcooley

Thats assuming you will have this opportunity again.
    That is basically what a collector is. Someone with show and tell in mind. Except for personal gratification of collecting for personal interest. In any case I think I can safely say, neither of us would have personal interest in old tech.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  9. ikesmasher

Its a risk id be willing to take.

10. Acespaces

Acespaces TS Member Posts: 85   +12

Its now at 20 grand and still rising.

11. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Booster Posts: 135   +23

Did a Google search. Withing 30 seconds found a site to download the ROM. Woot Woot, Now I can put the current price of $22,000 towards a new car. :)

12. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Booster Posts: 135   +23

I'm more of a digital collector. Takes up less space.

13. cliffordcooley

lol - Seeing as every NES ROM and Emulator can be stored on a single small capacity MicroSD chip.

From my own NES ROM collection:
    • 4 NES Emulators = 5 MB
    • 900 NES ROM's = 200 MB
    I hardly ever do anything with the collection, but I do have them in my digital inventory.

Edit:
    When they decide to sell rights to own these ROM's, I might actually decide not to be a Pirate. Especially when one doesn't have or want the completely outdated console.
    If they were worried about pirating, they would open the door for sales.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  14. Acespaces

Acespaces TS Member Posts: 85   +12

In the last 18 hours of the bid it seems its a bid war between two people right, steadily rising and its now at 41 grand

15. money

money TS Enthusiast Posts: 44

Meanwhile in africa...

16. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

17. cliffordcooley

Can't believe the value is bumping 100K.

It is a prehistoric game in my mind, not worth the gold value used to create the cartridge. It would probably cost you that value to extract the gold.

18. VitalyT

Perversion of the digital era at its finest... Take a dime-worth cartridge, a dime-worth game, put one into the other and suddenly it is worth a million? I don't think so... Some people simply have 100 times more money than imagination...

19. cliffordcooley

In this case 500000 times more!
    100K / (10cents + 10cents)

20. VitalyT

On another note, you can't put a price on human sentimentality, and that's all it is.

21. cliffordcooley

And to think I'm contemplating spending $3 on a Pentium D for a Celeron D upgrade. lol

22. cliffordcooley

Sold for 99.9K!

23. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

I know right, it broke all the previous records thats for sure. Though now I can safely say I will not be buying one of those games anytime soon at that price especially in that condition.

24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,698   +1,884

What an absolute joy it must be, to have more money than brains....

SalaSSin likes this.
  25. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014