TechSpot

Unable Copy From or Write To USB Devices

By EmperorRXF
Apr 7, 2007
  1. I'm using Windows XP SP2 and my USB devices were working perfectly until suddenly yesterday, when i pluged in my Portable Hard drive (USB), only the "safely remove" icon would get displayed in the taskbar and the Drive would not show up in "My Computer".... then i chked my USB Pen Drive... for it, the drive showed up in "My Computer", but i now cannot copy files from it or to it....it either gives an "cannot read from source" error or "an I/O error occured when trying to read from device" error when trying to read... i can only see the list of files, and cannot even open them... this is not true for very small files.... (ex. 120 byte text file).. i could open small text files and even write to them.. but couldn't read or copy a 20KB word document..... I'm guessing some sort of power shortage has taken place... but i replaced my PSU and chked again, but the same problem is still there..... any help would be greatly appriciated.....

(i chked pluging into all other 5 USB ports and still wouldn't work... but the amazing thing is my USB Keyboard is working fine....)

Regards,
    EmperorRXF...

2. Deathhawk

Deathhawk TS Rookie Posts: 68

have you gone into device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks?

3. EmperorRXF

EmperorRXF TS Rookie Topic Starter

yep... there are no exclamation marks there either... i even tried uninstalling all the USB controllers and re-installing them... didn't work.... also my USB Pen and the portable hard both work in my Office PC and my friends' PCs...

4. Deathhawk

Deathhawk TS Rookie Posts: 68

I have learnt that almost anything can happen for apparently no reason!

maybe a system restore could help or whatever happened affected your motherboard drivers-try reinstalling the disc with the drivers and see if that helps

When i have had problems i have done just about anything except throw the pc out the window! (came close though)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.