TechSpot

Unable to get data from one computer to another

By daverepair
Mar 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. First post, and here is the story. I have an old, broken XP laptop. A friend loaned me his IDE/SATA to USB cable so I could get some files off the hard drive. I proceeded to connect and download what I wanted o my Acer windows8 computer. I put everything into a folder. I can open that folder and read the Docs and look at the pictures no problem. I copied the info to an external HDD. I tried to download it to my wife's laptop, but it is not there. I tried to load the same info on to a Cruzer Flash drive and transfer it the same way. 'The folder is empty' is what I get when I click on the flash drive letter. If I put it back into my computer I can read it. If I click properties of the drive it shows the space being used. I also tried to put the info onto a laptop at work, same thing. If I add an unrelated file onto the flash drive it works normally. These files are possessed . Help. I guess you can't edit the title

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,448   +242

It could be because you could have "hide hidden files/folders" checked. Just a guess, good luck.

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Try using 'Roadkils unstoppable copier'. Windows has issues sometimes copying files from old HDDs.

4. daverepair

daverepair TS Rookie Topic Starter

The 'show Hidden files' check did the trick

5. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,448   +242

Glad to hear :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.