Unable to get to login screen, works in Safe Mode but in Safe Mode w/ Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here and in hopes of getting this resolved. I just installed the new Norton Systemworks 2005 and rebooted after installation. When the boot screen got up to the blue screen with the Windows XP logo before displaying the login names where you put in your password, it just stops. I restarted a few times and waiting a few more times thinking it may need to 'finish' installing. But each time gave the same results. Finally, I went in with 'Safe Mode' and got in with no problems. Tried again in normal mode after looking around for any obvious problems (none found)... back to square one. Tried again in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and it failed like normal mode so I suspected a networking problem??? The last thing I tried which made me mad is that I tried to uninstall Norton Systemworks in 'Safe Mode' and that failed!! Anyone in these forums know the cure? :dead:

Just a thought

Safe-Mode
Start \ Run \ msconfig \ diagnostic startup
disable any services attached to your most recent install and restart
should get warning next boot about using msconfig, its ok
One key service that needs to be available is the installer service
Try the uninstall, if doesn't complete
Try the uninstall string in the registry only if you know what you are doing

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Under it you will see a list of installed programs. Some don’t show up as words but you can figure out what they are by looking at their values. What you are looking for is the uninstall string. Double click that key as if you were going to modify its value. Do a CTRL + C to copy and then exit the registry editor.

Go to START \ RUN and paste the uninstall sting and hit enter. This should launch the uninstall.

Just a thought though as I am not infront of a test system at the moment. You should research this a little further so you have a clear understanding of what you can and can't do with msconfig.

or simpler yet

Safe-Mode

Start \ Programs \ Access. \ System Tools \ System Restore

Select restore point prior to install of whats giving you the problem.

Again, Good Luck

PS If you try to install it again, turn of antivirus and other open programs etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back