Unable to install Nvidia driver and also to play games on Windows 8.1

Hi all,
I am new to this forum..
To start, I had just bought an ASUS computer.. wanting to play games like borderlands 1, left for dead 2 etc. But, when I was very trilled waiting to start the games, both of them had blacked screen and forced shutdown my computer every time after the game has been launched!
I had done many researches in the net, changing the registry values in directx11, reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers (halfway black screen upon reinstalling), changing the compatibility to Windows 7, adding missing physxcudart_20 to the games...None of them works..T-T
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend to do the following:
  • Perform a clean install of Windows
  • Re-install Nvidia drivers
  • Download CPU-Z and GPU-Z (or any CPU and GPU monitoring software)
  • Monitor both while attempting to play games - check for temperature spikes.
Doing the above will help you rule out a lot of potential issues that are causing your problems. The clean windows install will get rid of any OS related issues. You never want to touch the windows registry unless you really have to, especially if you're not very well versed in the way it works. It can cause way more harm than good. With that said, the system crashes were probably due to a bad driver instillation and was causing a BSOD - most modern systems are set to restart / shutdown when this happens. You'll never know it happened unless you changed the configuration to stop the automatic shutdown. It could also be temperature related, if your CPU or GPU overheats, it'll typically trigger a system crash as well and result in the same BSOD sequence.

Let me know how it goes after you've tried what I've mentioned.

Hi Blkfx1, sorry for the late reply and thanks a lot for the recommendation!!

• Perform a clean install of Windows - I skipped this
  • Re-install Nvidia drivers - it worked perfectly after reading other forums (if your compuer happens to force shutdown while installing drivers, the solution is to install the driver in safe mode instead (shift+restart in Windows 8.1). After that right click on the game application > Run with graphics processor > High-performance NVIDIA processor
  • Download CPU-Z and GPU-Z (or any CPU and GPU monitoring software) - I'm not a technical person, so after installing I didn't know what to do with this.
  • Monitor both while attempting to play games - check for temperature spikes. - OK, I"ll check on this

Back