Unable to perform low level format of 6Y200PO

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffen

Hi,

I've been trying to format my maxtor 6Y200PO 200gb hd to get the full size. I went into disk management and deleted all of the partitions (Mixed Windows and Linux). The problem now is that it only shows up as 127gb instead of the full. I've made sure that large hard disks are enabled in windows. Further I tried using Powermax v 4.21 and performing a low-level format. The problem is that it fails and tells me to contact Maxtor. The problem is that they hard disk is about a year and half old, so I'm guessing it is past its warranty date. The error message was:
- Maxtor code: de99a46d
- Model 6Y2000P0
- Serial: Y63JJHQCE
- Firmware: YAR41BW0

Is there anything I can do to fix this or should I just put up with the 127gb or maybe bin it?

Thanks for your help.

I doubt its past its warranty, I thought those had 3 or 5 year warranties. You can go through the RMA process and that will tell you whether its warranty is still good.

Why did you need to try low level format? Does it pass the SMART tests? I think your drive is fine, that 127 gig sounds fishy because that number is the limit for size in Windows I believe without some update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back