Unable to rename a printer in XP pro

By gbhall
Oct 24, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Having installed several printers on an XP pro workstation (from Novell NDPS printers), I find the printer names cannot be changed. This was not the case under Win98 or Win2K clients, where in control panel/printers I could right-click and find 'rename' as an option. In XP this option simply does not appear.

It's a nuisance because the printer names seen in applications have names like \\DM-TREE\despatch_invoice.printer_port1.main which is offputting to people normally used to seeing far more user-friendly names.

I dont know if this is common to all XP pro - that you cannot rename printers, or if it is the Novell client getting it's fingers jammed in the registry?

A poke around the registry reveals lots and lots of places where these names (as above) appear, and so I could probably change them if I knew which keys would not break the connection to the drivers, etc....

anyone ever done this?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.