Unbelievable lag when playing PC games in the evening only

able6actual

Here is a really strange problem I am having, and I am unsure where to turn for help. I enjoy playing games on Steam and on the EA app. During the day, things run smooth, no lag at all. However, in the afternoon and evening It seems like my 540Mbps Download / 21Mbps upload and 10ms ping seems to play as if I was on a dial-up connection. (Speeds taken by running Speedtest and I have Cable not DSL) I use a wired connection to my PC and other than my Blink video system, there are no other connections to my network. I called my ISP and that was a waste of time, I explained it to them this issue and they in response offered me a discount on a TV sports package.

I have a home built PC
Windows 10 64bit
Motherboard - Z590 AORUS Ultra
CPU - Intel Core i9-10850K
GPU - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
Memory - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series
Router - ASUS RT-AX82U
Cable modem provided by ISP (Optimum)

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated greatly

Able6actual

Last edited:
Having worked for an ISP in the past it sounds like you are dealing with some bottleneck on the node you are on with the ISP. It works fine in the day because the capacity of the backhaul is enough to support the traffic but then at night when everyone is streaming and using the internet the backhaul gets congested and creates the latency you are experencing. If this is the case then there is really nothing you can do but change providers or convince the ISP to upgrade their infrastructure. I have seen the exact thing you are describing happen on multiple providers as the subscriber base grows and the back end infrastructure is not upgraded to accomidate the growth.

Having worked for an ISP in the past it sounds like you are dealing with some bottleneck on the node you are on with the ISP. It works fine in the day because the capacity of the backhaul is enough to support the traffic but then at night when everyone is streaming and using the internet the backhaul gets congested and creates the latency you are experencing. If this is the case then there is really nothing you can do but change providers or convince the ISP to upgrade their infrastructure. I have seen the exact thing you are describing happen on multiple providers as the subscriber base grows and the back end infrastructure is not upgraded to accomidate the growth.
Thank you for responding. I was afraid it was something like this. Mostlikey why they offered me a TV deal :)

The only other thing besides what Gabriel Pike said is maybe try ethernet, but enough traffic there will do the same thing.

Back