Unexpected restarts, PSU problem ? ( I've Had This Problem Before )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaf

I've Had This Problem Before

Hi Guys. I had this problem ages ago, where my computer kept restarting unexpectedly, quite often. I sent it away, as it was still under warranty, they said it had a faulty motherboard, and so they replaced it. I noticed the restarting had stopped, but sometimes, it still does restart unexpectedly, its always when Im on a 3D game. I always thought it was my power supply, even before i sent it away, becuase its a very low rated power supply for my specification. Justwondering if ne1 has any suggestions, and agrees with me if its the power supply. BTW, THE POWER SUPPLY IS A POWERMAN 250W.

CHEERS FOR ALL HELP AND SUGGESTIONS :) :)

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (2.17GHz)
nVIDIA nFORCE 2 MSI Motherboard
512MB RAM (128MB OF THIS MEMORY ALLOCATED TO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS CARD)
GEFORCE 4 MX 128MB
120GB HARD DRIVE
56K MODEM
CD/CDRW + DVD/DVDRW
REMOVABLE MEDIA DRIVES (MMC,COMPACT, MEM STICK PRO, SMART MEDIA)
WIN XP HOME EDITION:) :)

- Please use more explicit titles
Didou

Your power supply does look a little on the weak side and if you ever upgrade vid card, I'd put money that it won't even power clean. I'd take a serious look at upgrading to a good name brand....Antec or Enermax.....doesn't have to be 400W but I'd recommend it.

Just my $.02

Cheers Masque for your suggestion, i thought my psu was low for my spec, and i am thinking of upgrading my vid card in the future, erm i just want to ask one more question, is it easy to fit a PSU, or is it extremely hard. Also do they come as standard, or do you have to buy a certain type to fit your case, im not an expert on computers lol.

Cheers :):)

Just a good ATX power supply with a good rating. Look at the models I've mentioned...they're highly regarded around here.

Everyone blames PSU, and I'm not convinced its not to blame in this situation. But I do think other options shoudl be explored - I mean it did work at some point in time according to his first post. So based on that fact alone I think its worth considering other options.

I agree that other issues should be considered, updated drivers (mobo, vid card, directx etc.). Jaf, have you gone over these at all? Also, double-check all of your connections in the case as well.

Erm, i can't think of many other issues. Just drivers and connections. I have latest mobo, graphics, and sound drivers, directx 9.0b. I have checked all connections, and all seems to be ok. The motherboard has being replaced, so that shouldn't be an issue. I do think 250 watts is pretty weak. I went on a site that adds up the typical wattage of each component in my pc, it recommended sometinhg around 290w PSU, cant remeber the exact wattage. Cheers for all help and suggestions so far. What other issues could there be??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back