Unidentified network, no Internet connectivity

Jack Johnson

Hey all,

After shutting down my laptop running Vista, the next day I couldn't connect to the internet. It connects to the network but says "unidentified network" and there is no internet connectivity.
Now another laptop in my house connects the network fine and internet is working perfectly. So it is this laptop causing hassles.

I don't want to presume but it may have something to do with uninstalling AVG.
I tried to install AVG 2012 30 day trial and the install failed for some reason. I thought it might be some problem to do with older previous AVG versions on the laptop. There was no AVG on the add/remove programs function in control panel, but after seeing bits of AVG over the C: drive, I downloaded and used AppRemover to completely remove AVG. It found AVG 2010 (or 2011, I can't remember exactly) and I uninstalled it with that. I hibernated the computer a few times and think this was the first time I had shut down the pc since finishing this uninstall. Next time I booted up, my internet connectivity doesn't seem to be working. :confused:

Just speculating on what the cause of the problem is so am open to any suggestions.

:grinthumb Any help with this would be amazing! :grinthumb

laptop running Vista
use Control Panel -> Network sharing and delete all connections.

Now use that same tool to Create A Network Connection.
Be sure to use the Home (or Private / Work ) choice and NEVER the public option.

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know how to do that jobeard.

I opened up network and connections and it wouldn't let me delete it.
Can you help me with some slightly more specific details?

Thanks so much for the reply...it is much appreicated.

So this lasted for 2 days. Then I had the same issue with my OTHER computer at home (which was working fine on the network/internet during the 2 days I was having trouble with my connectivity on my laptop).

So I disconnected my router, waited 30seconds, plugged it in again. Both laptop and other computer now working fine again.

What I did do in those 2 days was change the network connection setting on both computers from public to private network (thanks to suggestion from jobeard :wave:). That didn't immediately fix the problem but may have contributed to the solution.

However, all connectivity restored today (after disconnecting and reconnecting the router). I don't understand what happened or how it got fixed, but it is working. Hopefully this helps someone who has the same problem and can attempt what I tried. :approve:

Thank you jobeard and buckshot for your suggestions. Really appreciate it!

For all those having this problem... IT IS NOT THE COMPUTER! I spent 3 days solidly trying all the answers on these pages... only to find that it is the wi-fi router!!!!! Change it... and you won't have any further problems! Simple!!!!

While replacing the router isnt a needed step Natasha had the basic idea. For problems like this it is USUALLY but not always an issue with the router. Usually resetting the router (unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds, then replugging it) will fix the problem if it is just an issue with the router settings. @Jack Johnson AVG doesnt really affect much network side, but it has in the past. In the newer versions they seemed to realize there was a issue and have since resolved it, for the most part.

~Alex

Hey Jack. Also, with a laptop, always try connecting it via Ethernet if you experience a problem when it is being used wirelessly (turn off your laptop's wireless adapter so there is no chance of a conflict which may cloud the issue). If you still have a connection issue wired to the router, connect it straight to the modem. I would also do A-B testing (wireless to wired then back to wireless) to see if I get the same problem to make sure it's not a fluke. Also, before buying a new router (unless it's more than 4 years old), I would also check to see if there is a firmware update for it, especially since one laptop was fine then it too had the same issue (maybe a different OS). I fixed an old Linksys WRT54 for a lady which she said the ISP tech told her was shot ( it was dead to me too) by updating the firmware.

Hi
This problem be solved by removing the Photoshop cs4. I had the same problem when I tried again. I found that this problem be eliminated. You can try.
Yours sincerely rahim from iran

Hey all,

After shutting down my laptop running Vista, the next day I couldn't connect to the internet. It connects to the network but says "unidentified network" and there is no internet connectivity.
Now another laptop in my house connects the network fine and internet is working perfectly. So it is this laptop causing hassles.

I don't want to presume but it may have something to do with uninstalling AVG.
I tried to install AVG 2012 30 day trial and the install failed for some reason. I thought it might be some problem to do with older previous AVG versions on the laptop. There was no AVG on the add/remove programs function in control panel, but after seeing bits of AVG over the C: drive, I downloaded and used AppRemover to completely remove AVG. It found AVG 2010 (or 2011, I can't remember exactly) and I uninstalled it with that. I hibernated the computer a few times and think this was the first time I had shut down the pc since finishing this uninstall. Next time I booted up, my internet connectivity doesn't seem to be working. :confused:

Just speculating on what the cause of the problem is so am open to any suggestions.

:grinthumb Any help with this would be amazing! :grinthumb

I managed to isolate service responsible for this behavior - I noticed that problem is not occuring in the Safe mode. In my case it was Bonjour service (by Apple - comes with QuickTime), so after stopping and disabling that service, I had no more problems, and I really don't need that service running).

Bonjour is perfectly safe. It is also used by Microsoft.

The issue of "unidentified network" is typically a result of having a wired connection and allowing the WiFi adaptor to be active at the same time. The wired connection will connect first and get properly identified in the Network and Sharing Center as one of the {Home, Public, Work} profiles but when the WiFi attempts to get identified it fails as all the data flow for identification will go to the wired interface by default.

Run either wired/wifi but never BOTH at the same time.

Back