Universities and courses

pkroks

well i am currently doing a'levels and am supposed to have applied for universities and stuff already. the thing is i am not sure what i want to do. i enjoy computers, technology, business and am quite good at maths (or so i have been told). have thought about arctureal science but it doesn't look too cool. any great courses and universities that anyone would recommend i look into...

I am currently doing:
A'Level Mathematics
A'Level Geography
A'Level Business

How much?

pkroks said:
well i am currently doing a'levels and am supposed to have applied for universities and stuff already. the thing is i am not sure what i want to do. i enjoy computers, technology, business and am quite good at maths (or so i have been told). have thought about arctureal science but it doesn't look too cool. any great courses and universities that anyone would recommend i look into...

I am currently doing:
A'Level Mathematics
A'Level Geography
A'Level Business
It would seem to me (a four-time college drop-in) that your decision, among the fields you've mentioned, is whether you are interested in making money, or teaching.

Creating new theory/fields in mathematics would undoubtedly be satisfying, but I would think one would be forced to teach same to provide. Computers/technology covers so much ground, and is such a wide-open, ever-changing landscape, that the opportunities for both innovation and remuneration should be endless.

Keep in mind, I am a certified dolt, but those would be the criteria I would consider. And GOOD LUCK in whatever you choose (although IT may end up choosing you)

p.s.- I hear MIT and Cal-Tech have decent programs. :grinthumb

i reckon i would prefer making money to teaching... but who knows.i will have a look at those MIT and Cal-Tech. thanks for advice.

MIT and Cal-Tech will be difficult to get into unless he's really smart. (although being from Africa may help).

If you want to go to school in the US, I would recommend looking into Community Colleges, they are cheap and you go for 2 years generally and then transfer to a University somewhere. In those 2 years you will take a bunch of general courses and you can decide then what you really want a degree in.

cool. sounds good. thanks will have a look. just out of curiosity how will my being from Africa help me?

origin

pkroks said:
cool. sounds good. thanks will have a look. just out of curiosity how will my being from Africa help me?
SNG might be referring to the fact that some institutions hold open some slots for foreign students to encourage a broader base of ideas/philosophies to expand the student body's world view. He is correct, MIT, Cal-Tech, and others are difficult to enter without very high test scores/earned scholarships, but I think:

Aim High! Shoot for the moon--the stars are next. Good luck.

Yeh, hewybo hit on why being from Africa would help you. You might check your country's universities and see if they have exchange programs with US Universities if you are wanting to go to school over here. I know the school I went to (University of Missouri-Rolla) has exchange programs with somewhere in Botswana, and South Africa. And several other universities around the world.

Cal-Tech and MIT are pretty much the two most selective (and expensive) science/tech schools in the United States. If you really want to go to MIT, I hope you can afford $45,000+ per year.

yeah,right

smtkr said:
Cal-Tech and MIT are pretty much the two most selective (and expensive) science/tech schools in the United States. If you really want to go to MIT, I hope you can afford $45,000+ per year.

PK- just go to ITT Tech and learn data entry. THERE'S a goal to shoot for!

k will do... and 45000+ per year! i reckon thats just outta my reach, not. more like way outta my reach.

was looking for more along the lines of about 20 000 per year. thanks for the feedback. and i am gonna try for a bit of a schollarship. if i get an A in Maths and Geography at Advanced Level then i reckon i could be considered. who knows, i will just apply anyway. :)

your link doesn't work for me... it says page cannot be found. I have tried just deleting half the link and going from there. i get lost. maybe repost it?

Back