TechSpot

Unknown overheating problem

By TheAndrewE
Jun 30, 2006
  1. At first I thought my overheating problem was with my 6800GT, so I bought and installed a NV Silencer and that keeps the GPU temp at a max of 70c, which is real nice. The problem is, I still overheat while playing certain games.

When I overheat, my speakers make a loud buzzing sound and I see a kind of checkerboard pattern on my monitor. I don't know where to start looking, any suggestions?

Specs:
    BFG Geforce 6800GT
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 CPU
    Soltek SL-K8TPRO-939 mobo
    XP Home SP2
    1 gig PQI Turbo PC-3200 DDR RAM
    Western Digital HDD
    Antec 420w power supply

2. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 170

Check your CPU temperatures, that might be it too.

Do you use the stock cpu heatsink/fan?

3. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

what do you mean "you still overheat"??

you have solved your GPU heat issue, yet you say you are still overheating :confused: generally speaking, the mobo would shut the system down if you were "overheating"

4. TheAndrewE

TheAndrewE TS Rookie Topic Starter

No, I use a Thermaltake Silent Boost.

5. TheAndrewE

TheAndrewE TS Rookie Topic Starter

The system doesn't shut down, it just goes to a really strange, almost checkerboard screen. The checkerboard has the colors of what was usually on the screen at the time, just really small and a bunch of them. It's a really strange problem. =\

6. A-thru-Z

A-thru-Z TS Rookie Posts: 24

I read a while ago about this problem (sorry cant remember where) and it turned out to be a chipset problem....you could do a google and see what comes up?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.