Unmountable Boot Volume Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new user, and I came here because I have a severe problem with my Dell Dimension 4700 (first problem ever).

I'm not that computer savvy, so this problem is extremely difficult for me.

I updated Zonealarm last night and when it restarted my computer, I got the message that Windows did not start successfully, and it may be a hardware or software change that cause this problem to occur.

It then lists options to start Windows, Safe Mode, SM w/Networking, SM w/ Command Prompt, Last known good Configuration, and Start windows normally; all of which lead to the same Unmountable Boot Volume error page, and I cannot get into Windows at all.

I tried using the Recovery Console to fix this problem and then got a different error page, about a Page Fault In Nonpaged Area, and it says that the problem seems to be caused by ntfs.sys

Reformatting the Hard drive(if it leads to that) will not be a huge issue for me, because I don't have that many programs that are hard to restore.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

well first off it might be a hard drive issue..reboot the system and when you see the dell logo come up where u would normally press F2 to enter the bios setup hit the F12 key and that will take you to the boot screen from there you want to arrow down and find where it says boot to utility partition if there is one.. remember when you reinstall do not delete the dell diags partition it should be like 35 mb and be fat32.. they are kinda hard to get back on the drive.. anyway do that and run the express test on the system.. also keep in mind that when it comes time to test the optical drive ( cd or dvd rom ) it may error out cause there is no disk in the drive or the disk that is in the drive is not compatible with the testing process needs to be a music cd or the drivers and utility cd..good luck mate and let us know...oh yeah did you get a warranty with that dell and if so what kind

I had done the express test last night and it found nothing, and I just ran the Symptom Tree test for not booting the OS, and it found nothing wrong with anything. These tests all passed:
L1 Data Cache Pattern Test
L1 Data Cache Walking Bit Test
L2 Cache Pattern Test
L2 Cache Walking Bit Test
L2 Cache MATS Test
Realtime Clock Functionality Test
Realtime Clock CMOS Confidence Test
System TimerTimer Functionality Test
PIC Functionality Test
L2 Cache(multiprocessor)Dirty Cache Reads Test
L2 Cache(multiprocessor)Alternating CPU Writes Test
L2 Cache(multiprocessor)Random Access Thrash Test
System Memory Data Bus Stress
System Memory MATS
System Memory March A Test
System Memory WCMch Test
System Memory WCMATS Test
System Memory March B Test
System Memory March C Test
System Memory March X Test
System Memory March Y Test
System Memory Data Line Test
SATA Disk S/N = WD-WMAM95459520 Confidence Test
SATA Disk S/N = WD-WMAM95459520 Device Self Test passed
SATA Disk S/N = WD-WMAM95459520 Read Test

EDIT:
All other tests passed, and the diagnostics didn't say anything was wrong with the drive.

And wouldn't ya know that when it's time to find the warranty, it's nowhere to be found, and I can't remember if we ordered a warranty with the computer.

Fixed the problem by formatting my hard drive : \ oh well, thanks anyways optimus
Called up Dell and they sent the Windows XP disk with all the good old Dell files on it which are quite useful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back