Unmounting a partition during system startup

Hi All,
Can any one tell me how to unmount a partition during the system start-up. That is, the partition should not available for the user when he gets logged on.

Thanks HK.

Actually my requirement is , i have 2 windows operating system's installed on my system which has 2 logical drives c: and d: .each drive is a root for a different OS (c:\winxp and d:\win7). when i run the first OS i don't want to see the drive d: and vice versa for the second OS (running it i don't want to see drive d:)
what i am trying to do is unmount a drive ... how can i do that.

Hmm.. On the one hand, i'd say unassign it's drive letter, tho on the other tho on other hand, not really sure if / what impact would have if was unassigned next time you tried to reboot...

Anyone know? or take a guess???? (and, yes, i'm too lazy to try doing it myself to find out. So what's the opionion? Wha'dya think will happen??)

Suggest you look here http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-hide-partition-drive-for-your-privacy-44023.shtml which is a tweakui registry change to prevent the drive letter appearing in windows explorer. You can still access it, however.

The thing about literally disabling of a drive is more usually done by a boot manager, and causes the drive letters to change, so currently C;,D:,E; where D: is your other OS and E: is a data partition, become C:,D: where D: is now the former E: drive

A good boot manager can actually hide and unhide a drive at boot time, hiding different drives according to the OS selected. Linux GRUB loader is a good example.

Apparently, you will be using the Win7 boot manager, BCDedit. It is quite likely that advanced usage can do what you want (I am not sure). Failing that, there are several commercial boot managers that can.

BTW mounting a drive is usually something that only linux does, since it runs on ext filesystem, it has to "mount" any NTFS drive.
Unmounting is the opposite, but you can't exactly do that between two identical filesystems since they would natively access each other.
If you don't want you're drive seen, hide it.
If you don't want it accessed, lock it.

That is, the partition should not available for the user when he gets logged on.
Consider NTFS permissions as a means to control.

Using an admin account, you could always
  1. Add User JoeDoe
  2. and then set Deny Joedoe everything
while the drive is still visable, all access can be denied

Back