Unreal Engine 4 available to all via monthly subscription model

Shawn Knight

Staff member

unreal engine os x subscription unreal engine 4

During a speaking engagement at a Game Developers Conference event earlier today, Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney revealed an entirely different take on the company’s business model as it pertains to the use of Unreal Engine 4.

In addition to the traditional licensing model which can easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, Epic Games is offering the new engine via a subscription model as part of an effort to put it within reach of anyone interested in building games and 3D content.

Developers get access to everything, including the Unreal Editor in ready-to-run form as well as the engine’s complete C++ source code hosted on GitHub for collaborative development, for $19 per month plus five percent of gross revenue resulting from sales to users.

For example, if a developer creates a hit title that makes $1 million, then they’d have to pay Epic Games $50,000.

Sweeney said his team realizes that is a lot to ask and that it would be a crazy proposition unless the engine enables developers to build way better games at a rate that is far more productive than would otherwise be possible. The Verge points out that the previous license cost $99 but Epic required developers to hand over a whopping 25 percent of money made after a game surpassed $50,000 in sales.

Big studios can still negotiate with Epic to cut out the royalty by paying a larger fee up front which could be the best course of action should a particular game rake in a ton of dough.

The engine is available for download as of writing.

Permalink to story.

"for $19 per month plus five percent of gross revenue resulting from sales to users."

How is that a lot to ask? I remember back when Carmack was licensing his 3d engines you had to pay 5 figures up front to have rights to use it. If your game bombed you just took a loss. A percentage of sales in a contract would be the most attractive and safest option in my opinion. And $19 a month plus five percent gross doesn't sound unreasonable to me. What am I missing here? Anybody?

What am I missing here? Anybody?

Modern culture. For anyone with any economic sense this is a fantastic offer. In fact, I find it almost too good to be true. However, there is no shortage of individuals who will complain about corporate greed if 5% reaches north of the standard fair. Thus, for devs who fancy themselves Big Boys this could easily be interpreted as Epic trying to cunningly get a larger cut... Which is exactly what they're doing, but with an equitable benefit.

"for $19 per month plus five percent of gross revenue resulting from sales to users."

How is that a lot to ask? I remember back when Carmack was licensing his 3d engines you had to pay 5 figures up front to have rights to use it. If your game bombed you just took a loss. A percentage of sales in a contract would be the most attractive and safest option in my opinion. And $19 a month plus five percent gross doesn't sound unreasonable to me. What am I missing here? Anybody?

It would be like programming your own version of WoW if you don't plan on selling it!

Modern culture. For anyone with any economic sense this is a fantastic offer. In fact, I find it almost too good to be true. However, there is no shortage of individuals who will complain about corporate greed if 5% reaches north of the standard fair. Thus, for devs who fancy themselves Big Boys this could easily be interpreted as Epic trying to cunningly get a larger cut... Which is exactly what they're doing, but with an equitable benefit.

Ah, I understand now. You make an excellent point. So people want their cake and they wanna eat it too. What a bunch of cry babies. LOL.

AMG THIS IS AWESOME!
I am learning how to make games at home and Unity seems to be the best solution for creating a online game and Unreal Engine seems to be the one to go for if your creating a singleplayer game.

Not saying they both cant be used for both but Unity has a wide spectrum of tutorials, snippets etc. that help with developing online games and Unreal Engine I dunno just has a string of sexy single player games.

Well we haven't seen the fine print yet but judging from this article it sure looks like a win win for both parties to me.

What am I missing here? Anybody?

Actually, there's a bit of fine print in that deal....Read it again.... 5% of gross revenue. The important word there being 'gross'. that means EPIC gets their money first; before taxes, before paying developers, before paying yourself and the bills.
For example, if a developer creates a hit title that makes $1 million, then they’d have to pay Epic Games $50,000.
Bad example. What is 'makes'? Is that revenue or profit? If your game brings in $1 million in revenue, you owe $50,000 to Epic, even if the game cost you $2 million to build. You'll be paying Epic that 50 grand even if your game loses money at the end.

Yes the 5% is far less than the 25%, but if you had to pay a fee of 25% gross you'd never use the product. Dropping it to 5% will greatly increase the number of developers who will be able to use, and this will mean more money for Epic.

Actually, there's a bit of fine print in that deal....Read it again.... 5% of gross revenue. The important word there being 'gross'. that means EPIC gets their money first; before taxes, before paying developers, before paying yourself and the bills.

Thus, for devs who fancy themselves Big Boys this could easily be interpreted as Epic trying to cunningly get a larger cut... Which is exactly what they're doing, but with an equitable benefit.

If a game maker cannot manage their money to make a profit, that is not Epics fault. Epic is still entitled, regardless of whether the game maker makes a profit or not. Percentage of gross is the only way to maintain entitlement. Besides doesn't everyone have the opportunity to create their own engine? It is not as if Epic is their only option.
  • $19 per month covers those who would use the engine yet never sell a game.
  • 5% gross is their bread and butter from games created with Unreal Engine 4.
I don't see a problem! I see win/win for both sides, regardless of how many game sales is made.

Back