Unreal Engine 4 support added to Firefox without plugins

By Scorpus
Mar 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Mozilla and Epic Games have teamed up to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Firefox, expanding on the various graphics libraries the web browser supports. Mozilla added Unreal Engine 3 support to Firefox back in March 2013, so it's no surprise...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,671   +509

Seriously?

Who would be crazy enough to invest resources as substantial as needed to develop a game - all for a single web browser with a shrinking market share?
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,970   +729

But why Firefox? It's not as though it's the most popular browser around.
  4. VitalyT@ Perhaps because it doesn't act like fracking spyware called Chrome?
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,435

I have just one question for you guys. How would Mozilla increase market share/popularity, if they didn't improve or at the very least change something?
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,970   +729

True, but how about introducing something that the majority would deem useful.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,671   +509

By improving:
    - Stability;
    - Security + Privacy.
    - Usability.

In other words, trying to reverse Chrome's success. People choose it not because it is from Google, but because it is a better product in those key areas, or at least perceived as such.
  8. Yes, you are right but.... Chrome is included in A LOT of installers ( a lot of people have it, but have no clue how, why). Also, the backing from Google, Google's power extends above only having a lot of money...
    Regarding Firefox, while it is not my main browser, I tested it in the past and recent. Not bad actually, but this depends on a lot of factors (not referring only to Chrome)
    At work, I am using Chrome, unfortunately, it causes a lot of issue, but when I've tried it at home and it worked great.
    My real problem with Chrome, are the plugins, cool that you have everything handled by it, but horrible considering the long delay in updating it

Regarding Firefox and this new "feature". People actually play a lot in browsers. Having U4 engine native support does not necessarily mean that all the potential games will be high profile, intensive graphic etc

Last: innovation/ new developments/ new ideas are very very good, even if you are not directly impacted Just wait... Remember, a lot of stuff that you and me now take for granted in a browser (or software, or hardware) started as niche, that, at that moment seemed pointless for a lot of people.

We are not near a technological saturation.... still a form of stone age :)
  9. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,661   +57

I switched to chrome this year. Why? It's faster and more reliable. FF freezes up and slows down way to often. Which is really sad since it didn't used to that a few years.
  10. alcarin2030

alcarin2030 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 103   +12

Odd, I recently switched to the newest FF and I actually see an improvement over Chrome. Not to mention the whole privacy issues with Chrome.
  11. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,661   +57

Hmm I tried reinstalling FF and shutting down plugins/extensions to no avail. I loved FF for years idk whats up then.

Maybe FF uses more ram but I doubt it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.