Unreal Engine 4 support added to Firefox without plugins

Scorpus

Staff member

Mozilla and Epic Games have teamed up to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Firefox, expanding on the various graphics libraries the web browser supports. Mozilla added Unreal Engine 3 support to Firefox back in March 2013, so it's no surprise the updated game engine is also compatible.

The demo that Mozilla posted on their YouTube channel shows the latest iteration of the Unreal Engine running at "near-native speeds" without the use of plugins. This is particularly good news for web developers, who won't need to get Firefox users to download anything before their impressive 3D in-browser games can be played.

But it's not just 3D games that Unreal Engine 4 will support in Firefox: basic 2D animations for platforming games are also possible, as shown by Unreal's Swing Ninja demo. The aim for integrating the Unreal Engine 4 in Firefox is to create in-browser games that are "almost indistinguishable" from those that you "have had to wait to download and install".

Mozilla will be at the Game Developer's Conference next week to show more of Unreal Engine 4 in Firefox. Meanwhile, PC gamers and PlayStation 4 owners will be able to get their first taste of an Unreal Engine 4-powered game in April, when survival horror game Daylight is launched.

Permalink to story.

Seriously?

Who would be crazy enough to invest resources as substantial as needed to develop a game - all for a single web browser with a shrinking market share?

VitalyT@ Perhaps because it doesn't act like fracking spyware called Chrome?

Seriously?

Who would be crazy enough to invest resources as substantial as needed to develop a game - all for a single web browser with a shrinking market share?
But why Firefox? It's not as though it's the most popular browser around.
I have just one question for you guys. How would Mozilla increase market share/popularity, if they didn't improve or at the very least change something?

I have just one question for you guys. How would Mozilla increase market share/popularity, if they didn't improve or at the very least change something?

By improving:
- Stability;
- Security + Privacy.
- Usability.

In other words, trying to reverse Chrome's success. People choose it not because it is from Google, but because it is a better product in those key areas, or at least perceived as such.

Yes, you are right but.... Chrome is included in A LOT of installers ( a lot of people have it, but have no clue how, why). Also, the backing from Google, Google's power extends above only having a lot of money...
Regarding Firefox, while it is not my main browser, I tested it in the past and recent. Not bad actually, but this depends on a lot of factors (not referring only to Chrome)
At work, I am using Chrome, unfortunately, it causes a lot of issue, but when I've tried it at home and it worked great.
My real problem with Chrome, are the plugins, cool that you have everything handled by it, but horrible considering the long delay in updating it

Regarding Firefox and this new "feature". People actually play a lot in browsers. Having U4 engine native support does not necessarily mean that all the potential games will be high profile, intensive graphic etc

Last: innovation/ new developments/ new ideas are very very good, even if you are not directly impacted Just wait... Remember, a lot of stuff that you and me now take for granted in a browser (or software, or hardware) started as niche, that, at that moment seemed pointless for a lot of people.

We are not near a technological saturation.... still a form of stone age :)

I switched to chrome this year. Why? It's faster and more reliable. FF freezes up and slows down way to often. Which is really sad since it didn't used to that a few years.

I switched to chrome this year. Why? It's faster and more reliable. FF freezes up and slows down way to often. Which is really sad since it didn't used to that a few years.
Odd, I recently switched to the newest FF and I actually see an improvement over Chrome. Not to mention the whole privacy issues with Chrome.

Odd, I recently switched to the newest FF and I actually see an improvement over Chrome. Not to mention the whole privacy issues with Chrome.
Hmm I tried reinstalling FF and shutting down plugins/extensions to no avail. I loved FF for years idk whats up then.

Maybe FF uses more ram but I doubt it.

Back