TechSpot

unrecognized hard drive

By ctrebel
Sep 15, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please help, I recently installed a new slave drive. Set-up sees the drive and the device mager says the drive is working properl.. However I cannot "see" the drive in windows explorer. I've run the mmc command nd the drive shows that it is "unallocated". I assume that means it has no drive letter? How do I "allocate" this new drive? Thanks for any help you can provide. REM
  2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Have you Formatted the slave drive?
  3. ctrebel

ctrebel TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have not, not sure how to do that since i can't see the drive from the command prompt or explorer
  4. ctrebel

Btw Oo Rah!!
  5. fastco

Semper Fi.... Make the slave drive the Master, boot from the XP cd or a bootable floppy, create a partition and format in NTFS. Then switch the drive back to slave. If you are unsure how to do that let me know!
    Follow step 3 if unsure: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53502.html
  6. ctrebel

30 year Air Force here, no A: drive in this dell, have to dig up XP cd not confident about sawpping master to slave and back, etc
  7. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

It would be far far easier to right click on your "my computer", select manage, then storage, then diskmanagement. Then right click on the unallocated drive on the right hand side then select format.

It saves changing the jumper and cable positions for the new hard drive.
  8. fastco

Congrats on AF hope you are happily retired. Just unplug the IDE cable (largest one) from the Master, Set the jumper on the rear of the Slave drive to Master Plug it into the cable you removed from the Master (it only goes one way), plug in the power connector. Boot the computer from the XP cd (when u find it) and follow step 3 in this thread: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53502.html
    Then unplug the slave, set the jumper back to slave, plug the IDE cable and Power Connector back into it, replace the IDE cable on the original Master reboot without the CD and when everything works close up the computer and your off and running.
  9. fastco

But will it show up in Disk Management if it is unpartitioned?
  10. Rik

Yes!!!!!! Thats why its called disk management, its for managing disks!!!!!
  11. ctrebel

rik - when i go to disk management the disk show unallocated but when i right click all i get is "properties" and "help" i do not get an option to format the disk, i am the admin on this machine

12. ctrebel

oh oh, tried it again and i think it is actually working, we will see thanks for all the help - i'll let you know if it works.. REM
  13. ctrebel

SUCCESS!!!! thanks for the help from both of you, i'd still be scratching my head if it weren't for your help. REM
  14. Rik

No problem, anytime!!!!!!!:)
  15. fastco

Yes thanks rik, learn something new everyday!!!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.