Unresponsive script

Doug8765

Hi -
It's not unusual for me to get a message, one example of which is attached, that a script is running and is unresponsive. I always opt to end the running of the script. Usually that means that I have to press "refresh". Today, however, I'm getting killed by this message.

I keep my computer pretty clean, running cleanup utilities every day. I keep the software up-to-date, using utilities to update software when new versions are available.

So the question I ask is, what's going on with these "unresponsive script" messages? How can I avoid them?

Thank you for your help.

Doug8765

Attachments

• Unresponsive script dialog.png
    Unresponsive script dialog.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 2
You suffer from an ad server that is overloaded or is crashing

add this
Code:
127.0.0.1   spd.pointroll.com
to your etc\hosts file and then issue

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

Hi J. O. Beard -
Thanks for the solution. Where is the etc\hosts file? When I type "hosts" in the Start menu file finder I don't see something I'd open. Also, where will I put the " ipconfig /flushdns" ... lines?

Hope I don't seem hopeless. Thanks for the help.

I was able to get some remediation by uninstalling Adobe Flash Player, but now I'm being nagged about installing that.

Doug

The hosts file is located at
\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

the file should be marked Read Only (R/O) but that can be fixed

Using an Admin login
1) cd \Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc
2) attrib -R hosts​
now use Notepad.exe Hosts to fix the file
then reset R/O with attrib +r hosts

and Finally run the stuff noted previously

Hi J. O. Beard -
I used a dos command window to do those steps. The hosts file was not read-only when I got there, but I set it to read-only when I was done.

I'm using the browser now and have re-installed Adobe Flash Player. Seems OK now.

Thanks for the prompt help. I couldn't do anything before.

Doug

Hi again -
Just for my information, what's the difference between the solution you gave me that I implemented and the uninstallation of Adobe Flash Player? Without Adobe Flash Player everything sped up quite nicely.

Doug

I can't be certain what Flash was up to and it's likely that BOTH contributed to the improvement. The new entry in the hosts file now inhibits your system from EVER accessing that ad server :)

Back