Unstable 1TB external hard drive

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 1TB Western Digital Portable harddrive. AT the time i had a Philips 5990 DVD player which only used FAT32 format. I converted the portable HD to NTFS using EASEUS Partition Master 6.5.2 Home Edition. This took seconds. I copied some movies and they seemed ok until the movie was paused. As soon as i tried to play it again the movie restarted to the beginning. This happened a number of times and with different movies. I was told that this was because it was only powered by one USB lead. I then tried to buy a 1TB external HD but was told by the assistant that if i filled the HD with movies and tried to play them with the DVD player the HD would become unstable and not play the movies fully. Obviously i did not buy it! Do you guys think the assistant is right?

I'd agree with above, I'd be inclined to think the hard disk would either work, or not at all. If there wasn't enough power the movie would in all likelihood be skippy or not play at all.

Ok, thanks guys. I am going to buy a Sony s380 bluray player to replace the Philips.So if for example i completly fill the HD, would the movies play ok or become unstable like i was told. The assistant actually told me to partition the drive to 4 x 250g but said maybe the player would not recognise the partitions. Thanks for your time.

I really don't see what formatting the hard disk into four partitions would actually achieve. The wastage of space would be high as well, with around 238GB usable space per partition, but tbh it makes absolutely no sense, as they're not physical disks. Just create the one partition and use the entire disk capacity.

If It was me, I would purchase an externally (wall socket) powered disk enclosure for a start, and then try that with the DVD player first. Or get the new enclosure AND the new blue ray player.

Thanks again. Bought the bluray player today and im going to get an external 1TB soon. Hopefully i will not have any problems but will report back either way.

i forgot to mention. the partition may be required, because not all DVD player can read your USB HDD in 1TB size. some dvd players do mention in the manual the limit of the HDD size they can read.

what leeky suggest is also good. an external 3.5" drive would be a better option. not only they're about half the price, but they have better speed and have its own power supply so it doesn't rely on the USB power (which will burden your dvd player in long run).

Back