Update your BIOS: Utilities from Top Motherboard Makers

My rule of thumb:

If the PC is working, don't bother updating BIOS. I know BIOS flashes are safer then ever, but I still prefer to leave a working system alone.
I generally agree... but sometimes, your computer might be "quirky" and you just get used to it - when you could have eliminated the quirks by updating the BIOS.

I remember when I first got my PC, it was a bit "tempermental" when cold-rebooting... occasionally it would hang on a cold reboot, but would be fine if I tried again a minute later... Didn't really think anything of it (my computer is always on, so the amount of cold reboots were extremely limited), until we had a power failure and I checked Asus' website for updates just in case I'd corrupted anything... sure enough, there was an update that listed "stability improvements" as a feature...

As I'm sure you can guess, now my PC is no longer tempermental at all :)

I would advise against installing extra Windows applications just for the purpose of checking for BIOS update and updating it. This is because these applications tend to be of poor quality (it is a cost to the vendor, hence they minimize it) and are another vector of attack.

Funny, I use older systems and I haven't had to update anything for years and years. Of course this is probably due to the lack of any updates.

I almost always run a BIOS update as long as the computer is still in warranty. Recently worked on a Dell laptop where I started their BIOS update through their SupportAssist app in Windows. Got the prompt to restart the computer, BIOS update got stuck on 34%. Waited like 12 hours, still stuck. Called Dell and they sent a technician to replace the motherboard the very next day.

Boy, I remember those update the bios in the days of floppy disks. You held your breath,
prayed the power didn't go out, and didn't TOUCH anything.
If my computer is working, and it isn't a security patch, I leave well enough alone.
Yeah, the bios is much safer to update these days, with CRC/metadata/sig file checks
and how it double checks before writing, but still, FUBAR the bios, and you have a huge
paper weight!

My rule of thumb:

If the PC is working, don't bother updating BIOS. I know BIOS flashes are safer then ever, but I still prefer to leave a working system alone.
I generally agree... but sometimes, your computer might be "quirky" and you just get used to it - when you could have eliminated the quirks by updating the BIOS.

I remember when I first got my PC, it was a bit "tempermental" when cold-rebooting... occasionally it would hang on a cold reboot, but would be fine if I tried again a minute later... Didn't really think anything of it (my computer is always on, so the amount of cold reboots were extremely limited), until we had a power failure and I checked Asus' website for updates just in case I'd corrupted anything... sure enough, there was an update that listed "stability improvements" as a feature...

As I'm sure you can guess, now my PC is no longer tempermental at all :)
Quirky

I just want to point out that I'm in the IT business and update BIOS regularly (with the amount of clients we have) and can honestly say I've only ever had one instance where I bricked a machine. On top of that, to be fair, the BIOS updater even warned me there was something wrong and asked me if I wanted to force it / try anyways. The machine was pretty much dead anyways so we tried it, and it failed terribly. Every other update had ALWAYS gone smoothly. That's over 14+ years of BIOS updates!

If you are a Gigabyte AB350 chipset user, avoid any Bios above Version 7. All of them have several problems related to memory compatibility, stability, etc. Just forget about to put a ryzen3000 on a ab350 chipset. Companies will kill these chipsets as soon they can to sell new ones.

My rule of thumb:

I totally agree, if it's not broken don't fix it. A golden rule!

What I like with Gigabyte motherboards is that some have 2 Bios chips, so updating isn't a problem.
Just to mention.

Anyone know of any motherboard manufacturers who provide BIOS updates after a product age of maybe 2 years? Most of the ones I've looked at seem to abandon their support after a year (or two). My Gigabyte board had updates for about 1 year, then abandon, which is totally crappy. Especially because there are security vulnerabilities that are unpatched (see Meltdown and Spectre).

Also, to those who say don't do it unless it doesn't work, also see Meltdown and Spectre.

I have a lot of Dell systems at my work and they've put out BIOS updates to mitigate these vulnerabilities going back to Sandy Bridge systems. Also, never had a problem with the over 1000 Dell systems I manage and update the BIOSes on.

My rule of thumb:

Ever heard of the Spectre speculative execution vulnerability? It requires a firmware update to be remediated.

Chesterfried said:
"Ever heard of the Spectre speculative execution vulnerability? It requires a firmware update to be remediated."
------------------------------------------------------------
Bullwinkle says:

Ever heard of Spyware Platform 10 ?
Or Targeted Updates ?
Or an O.S. Kill Switch ?
Or a BIOS update bricking a motherboard ?
Or an actual "In the wild" Spectre speculative execution exploit ?

I've seen the first 4 in person but I've never seen an actual Spectre speculative execution exploit in the wild.
Have You?

I've seen a selective Kill switch for Intel Motherboards prevent certain versions of Windows and all versions of Linux from ever booting or being installed again once it is activated.
Once activated, it only allows Spyware versions of Windows to boot or install

I've seen malware permanently Kill "ALL" D-Link Wi-Fi cards on a network at the exact same instant

I've seen these and other targeted attacks up close

and I've found Windows (Spyware Platform 10) to be the most dangerous piece of malware of them all with its backdoors, spyware, extortion and blackmail Licensing "agreement"!?

Yet I've never seen an actual "In the wild" Spectre speculative execution exploit
Have you?

If one is ever found in the wild, it is still not a valid reason to update my BIOS
It is simply not gonna happen, because you cannot guarantee my specialized systems will function correctly (or at all) after a BIOS update yet they will continue to work perfectly without one

I would advise against installing extra Windows applications just for the purpose of checking for BIOS update and updating it. This is because these applications tend to be of poor quality (it is a cost to the vendor, hence they minimize it) and are another vector of attack.
Not to mention about annoying notifications and unnecessary software brand software which has the same poor build quality and not user friendly UI.

For me the only one which is acceptable is the Dell(Alienware)/Intel ones: Dell Display Manager, Alienware Command Center, Dell Support assistant, Intel Support Assistant.

Ever heard of the Spectre speculative execution vulnerability? It requires a firmware update to be remediated.

Note remedied, but *worked around*, at a performance loss to boot.

Besides, I work on a very simple principle: If it's connected to the Internet, then everyone already has it. Nothing worth taking over is on my public facing PC. Nevermind it's set up so only applications I give explicit access to can send or receive internet traffic (which honestly should be the default behavior these days).

Did a system upgrade and fresh install of Windows a year ago - Gigabyte Z370 motherboard, i5 8400 and 16Gb DDR4 3000. Everything ran fine until Metro Exodus came out and it would crash frequently in DX12 and less frequently but still regular in DX11.
All drivers were up to date and temps were normal. I checked the bios and it was F4 - latest is F13. Several of the bios updates mentioned stability improvements so I gave it a go and tried the aBios utility so within Windows.
It all went smoothly and I played Metro Exodus through a second time with no crashes at all.
Ive done plenty of bios and firmware (GPU) updates that have gone fine and proved worthwhile but I agree its not something to do lightly like a driver upgrade.

I wish there was a digital junk yard you could get bios updates for really old desktops. I got an HP D4100Y desktop that I love and have held onto for 13 years. I only use it for managing my home Wi-Fi network, storage backup and playing my favorite old games off the original disks. On weekends when I'm bored and it's snowy or rainy.

I can't seem to get a graphics card that will work nice with it anymore and I can't get any bios updates that might help it work better with a newer card. All the hardware still works good except for that one thing. I put like seven graphics cards in it during its time and other junk. It's like a pet to me and I hate to see it go lol.

I wish there was a digital junk yard you could get bios updates for really old desktops. I got an HP D4100Y desktop that I love and have held onto for 13 years. I only use it for managing my home Wi-Fi network, storage backup and playing my favorite old games off the original disks. On weekends when I'm bored and it's snowy or rainy.

I can't seem to get a graphics card that will work nice with it anymore and I can't get any bios updates that might help it work better with a newer card. All the hardware still works good except for that one thing. I put like seven graphics cards in it during its time and other junk. It's like a pet to me and I hate to see it go lol.

If it's Windows XP, you can get IDE graphics cards starting at $32.99 @ Newegg marketplace

Not sure why you would need a BIOS update ???

If it's Windows XP, you can get IDE graphics cards starting at $32.99 @ Newegg marketplace

Not sure why you would need a BIOS update ???

It has Vista on it and an PCIe x16 slot. I got a card coming for it but the last one quit after only a week of use. I'm going to keep on trying newer cards for a while if this one doesn't work but after a certain point the expense for the cards will force me to put my pet down. :( The last card manufacturer was who told me the age of the pc was the problem and to get a bios update.

Can anyone help me find a bios update on my desktop please? im having a hard time searching an bios update on my pcchips p65g motherboard because I have a geforce 750ti gpu when I plugged it in my pc it will stuck on the mobo logo and cant go any further and base on searching I found out that updating my bios will solve the problem your idea or recommendation will be much appreciated thanks

Back