Upgrade CPU or go SLI?

Obzoleet

Hey guys,

I am planning on upgrading my computer eventually so that I can play Star Wars Battlefront 3 when it is released at ultra super eye candy settings with extra bling bling with 60 FPS when it is released.

I am currently running the following setup :

i5 4570. Never goes over 40c under load.
GTX 780ti HoF
8 GB RAM Corsair vengeance

So I can play most games today without any issues, but I had some issues with Farcry 4 on ultra settings (runs fine on High most times ) so now I am worried if I can run Battlefront 3 when it comes.

So my thoughts are if I should only upgrade my CPU and it might be enough?

OR if I should get another 780ti Hof to run SLI? This worries me though since I have had my current 780ti for about 1 year and it would suck if it would break in a year and I would be stuck with 1 card and the whole investment would be for nothing (Or very expensive atleast)

Suggestions? :)

Thanks!

First, before investing anymore $ what are the publisher's recommended specs for Battlefront 3?

Second, there is some spirited debate whether or not the performance increase using SLI or Crossfire is really worth the cash layout. Personally, IMO, the cost compared to actual performance increase isn't worth it.

Third, the i5 is the sweet-spot for gaming.

* So find out first what the recommended specs are and take it from there...

First, before investing anymore $ what are the publisher's recommended specs for Battlefront 3?

Second, there is some spirited debate whether or not the performance increase using SLI or Crossfire is really worth the cash layout. Personally, IMO, the cost compared to actual performance increase isn't worth it.

Third, the i5 is the sweet-spot for gaming.

* So find out first what the recommended specs are and take it from there...

As far as I know the recommended specs hasnt been released but im assuming it will be something similar to battlefield 4 or better.

I know the i5 is the sweet spot for gaming but my rig does struggle with some of the latest games on max settings which is why I am looking to upgrade eventually..

Money is not the issue here, I just want the performance ( I do not mean I have an endless stream of money but I will invest enough to be able to max out settings )

Since PC games are GPU intensive therein is the issue so if you decide either to 1) upgrade to a more powerful single card or 2) SLI with your current one you should be okay.

Personally I'd never recommend SLI/Xfire to anyone, not even my worst enemy (OK maybe not) and your CPU is fine and dandy.
SLI is always game dependent and if your chosen game/s is not optimised for multi graphics cards you're only wasting your money.
Also you don't state your preferred resolution so I'll assume it's 1980x1080 in which case the same advice applies.

Last edited:
Personally I'd never recommend SLI/Xfire to anyone, not even my worst enemy (OK maybe not) and your CPU looks fine.
SLI is always game dependent and if your chosen game/s is not optimised for multi graphics cards you're only wasting your money.
Also you don't state your preferred resolution so I'll assume it's 1980x1080 in which case the same advice applies.

Sound advice. I could not agree more. Well said.

Why not just not spend any money and overclock them both a bit? a motherboard with lga 1156 would be able to overclock your CPU and your temps are fine so it would only bump up your CPU temp a bit with a small overclock. And as for the GPU just download something like GPU tweak to overclock it. But be sure that every time you bump it up mhz etc to stress it to make sure its stable.

Don't upgrade either of them. Get an SSD if you don't have one, a good discrete sound card and/or a good headset.

I have an SSD already and also a good headset. I do not have a dedicated sound card but there is not room for it in my setup :(

The headset came with an external soundcard tho which has been "ok" so far at least :)

My i5 is not unlocked so I cannot overclock it which is partly the reason I want to upgrade to an unlocked i7 instead.

As far as I can see when I have a look at Techspots benchmarks my 780ti should be able to handle pretty much all games on ultra settings which leads me to believe my i5 is holding me back?

What else could it be? :( the GPU never goes over 75c so it shouldnt be holding back right?

Personally I'd never recommend SLI/Xfire to anyone, not even my worst enemy (OK maybe not) and your CPU is fine and dandy.

I am running 1920x1080 :) I have been thinking of overclocking instead but I dont have an unlocked i5 :(

I havnt heard alot of good stuff for gaming i7 compared to i5 a quote I heard alot is i5 is the sweet spot for gaming CPU's

I havnt heard alot of good stuff for gaming i7 compared to i5 a quote I heard alot is i5 is the sweet spot for gaming CPU's

Yes we covered that an i5 is the sweet spot for gaming earlier in the thread, however my i5 is not unlocked so I cannot overclock it and it does seem to struggle with some of the more demanding games..

Msi afterburner has a on screen display to show your cpu and gpu usage in real time as you game. If your gpu hits 100% usage before your cpu, you have no bottleneck.

Very useful program, Can also display video memory, ram in use, temps, ect. It will work on any brand of card, Not just MSI.

Hope this helps :)

Msi afterburner has a on screen display to show your cpu and gpu usage in real time as you game. If your gpu hits 100% usage before your cpu, you have no bottleneck.

Hope this helps :)

I am using MSI afterburner and also a custom fan setting, my GPU never hits 100% usage, it can jump up to 75-80% sometimes but usually stays lower :U

I am using MSI afterburner and also a custom fan setting, my GPU never hits 100% usage, it can jump up to 75-80% sometimes but usually stays lower :U

Monitor your cpu also. Is it maxxed out at 100% usage?

The reason your gpu sits between 75-80% may just be the game is badly optimised or simply does not take advantage of your card.

I highly doubt your CPU is causing performance issues. As long as it has lower usage than your gpu, its not a bottleneck.

Monitor your cpu also. Is it maxxed out at 100% usage?

The reason your gpu sits between 75-80% may just be the game is badly optimised or simply does not take advantage of your card.

I highly doubt your CPU is causing performance issues. As long as it has lower usage than your gpu, its not a bottleneck.

I have no clue but if I go into task manager and check the CPU usage it is always 98-100% when im playing ..

Back