Upgrade Help, Please, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracking7

New Upgrade Problems Help, Please, Please

I have started to build my PC Upgrade. Ordered in new parts last week.
I brought a MSI KN8 Neo2 Plat MOBO
New 64 3200+ CPU Heatsink and Fan
Antec Smart Power 400W PSU (My other blew up - which I was concerned it could of done some damage)
MSI 5500 256 Graphics cards
New 1GB Memory.

I pieced it all together outside box with my new Antec PSU, got it working after a few days, using help from looking at forums. Repaired XP checked BIOS etc. Then put it in the case, its dead - can't get anything to work now at all.

Took it out case again today, and put back in case in easy stages, it seem ok at one point, then tried powering on to double check its happy - still nothing happening. Seems completely dead. Its becoming frustrating now, I was looking forward to doing the upgrade as only ever owned 1 PC - lost for ideas now.

Has anyone please, please got any ideas how, if possible to somehow check the parts, and try and nail the issue.

Really do appricate help, with regards

Chris

:D

So you can get it running before you stick it in the case, but then as soon as you drop it in the case, nothing?

I'll start with the obvious one: did you use the riser pins under the motherboard (between the motherboard and your case)?

And just to make sure I am understanding you, you are having no problems firing up when you have the motherboard outside of the case, but as soon as you put it in the case you get nothing?

If that is the case, then you must have a short somewhere. Your motherboard must be touching something it shouldn't. That is what the riser pins are SUPPOSED to do, is separate your motherboard from the case, but somewhere it sounds like it is touching the case.

See what some others say as well, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Hi, thanks for reply.

Well just as we are speaking - I have connected PC parts outside the case, I now can't get it to work.
So I don't think its a short circuit.

Earlier I mentioned that my first PSU blew up, could this of caused problems for later (which maybe im experiencing now)?

Is there ways I can check if MOBO is ok, if my new PSU is ok - its all very new to me upgrading so I only know basics.

regards :D

Do you have any access to other working parts? One way to check the PSU would be to drop it into a computer that is in working order. Remove it's power supply, and then replace it with your new one. If it boots then you know the it isnt a PSU issue and can look elsewhere. For end users like us, most of the time tech support of this nature becomes a trial and error process.

Hi

Thanks for the mail.
Yes, today I tested the PSU with my dads machine, whoops don't tell him :rolleyes:
It booted up his machine, so I now know the PSU is OK.
Hard Drive seems fine too.
Graphics card, well the Monitor started, and the fan was running - so me think this in OK too.

I think it maybe a MOBO / CPU problem.

Problem is to find out which it is, I not sure I can test the CPU in my dads machine MOBO completely different type.

Still thinking what to do at present, regards :)

I mean I don't have much experience with computers myself, but it could be that since your old PSU blew up, it could have sent a surge into the Mobo, possibly screwing with the risers... I mean, I guess that could be the reason why you're having problems running your PC - if I were in your position, I would try to perform a jumper on my mobo just for kicks and see if anything changes.

As a disclaimer, ... no experience :blackeye: :knock: ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back