TechSpot

Upgrade or Build?

By whiteshizzle
Oct 29, 2009
  1. Hey all, first post!

Im in need of some advice, I currently have a HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower which the stats are:

• Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 3.0 GHz, Standard L2 2MB, 800 MHz front side bus
    • 2gb Ram
    • 80gb HDD
    • Geforce 9500GT GFX card

I have upgraded the Ram and put in a new GFX card. The CPU is pretty rubbish for gaming at the moment.

I'm not sure if to just replace the CPU, Bigger Hard drive, new Heatsink/fans and maybe move to a new case OR to completely abandon the whole thing and build from scratch?

I'm on a pretty limited budget if i were to build from scratch.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,167   +37

Two important questions that we need you to answer:

1. What do you want this PC to do?

2. What is your budget?

3. whiteshizzle

whiteshizzle TS Rookie Topic Starter

I will mainly be using it for Gaming and the budget is about $1000 but that really isn't the problem, Just need to know if you think its worth spending money on a brand new or save a little bit of cash by just upgrading.

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,167   +37

Honestly, the best thing for you to do, IMO, is to start from scratch. Putting more money into your old system will be a waste of $. Keep it as a second rig because they always come in handy.

If you don't want a second rig you would probably be able to save some cash by using your current keyboard, mouse, and monitor. You'll be able to do a lot with $1000 but if you could save anothe $500 so much the better.

There should be others that come along and give some wise council.

5. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

I must agree with Route44. Just go ahead and build one from scratch while keeping this as a second system.

The present one will suffice quite well for ordinary work. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.